Employee Type: Consultant
Employee Category: Not Applicable
Term of Reference for Orthopedic Surgeon
The International Rescue Committee (IRC) provides health services in Hagadera and Kambioos, at Dadaab Refugee Camp since January 2009.
It operates 1 camp hospital and 5 health posts in the community with a total population of 134,787 (105,095 Hagadera, 17,048 Kambioos and 12,644 host community).
The IRC has 5 main programs which include Health, Nutrition, Reproductive Health and HIV/AIDS, Women Empowerment and protection program that are all headed by a manager who in turn report to the Field Coordinator.
The IRC operates 1 hospital that is supported by an equipped theatre for emergencies and elective surgical cases from both camps.
The IRC plans to have orthopedic surgeon consultant to review and operate the patients with surgical conditions that are booked for the specialized surgical operations in Dadaab complex
The general surgeon must have experience working in Dadaab
Objective of the consultancy
To provide consultation services to booked patients with orthopedic conditions at the IRC Hagadera Hospital.
To provide orthopedic surgeries for all patients reviewed and prepared for operations at IRC hospital main theatre.
2. Expected outcome
All the booked patients with orthopedic conditions will be attended by the specialist and treatment initiated and all cases requiring orthopedic surgery interventions will be operated.
3. Tasks to be performed
In liaison with the Health Manager, the specialist’s consultant will be required to:
- Conduct orthopedic clinics and reviews for patients with orthopedic surgery conditions.
- Conduct orthopedic surgery operations for the screened patients with assistance of the medical officers.
- Review all post-operative patients before he embarks on operation booked for that day.
- Prepare and submit a report and summaries of patients seen and operated to Health Manager.
4. IRC role
The IRC will ensure the list of the booked patients with orthopedic conditions is available for orthopedic surgeons review at Hagadera hospital.
IRC will provide transport of the surgeon to and from Dadaab after the consultancy.
The IRC will ensure the theatre staffs; drugs and other medical supplies required for operation are available for the surgeon to conduct surgeries within the specific camp hospital.
5. Consultancy Venue
- IRC Hagadera hospital
- KRCS hospital in IFO2
- IRK Hospital in IFO
- MSF hospital in Dagahaley
6. Duration of consultancy
The consultancy is expected to last for 5 days from 5th Dec to 9th Dec, 2016.
The second consultancy for 5 days to start on 12th Dec to 16th December 2016.
7. Terms of payment and Utility:
- The IRC will facilitate transport of the general surgeon to and fro Dadaab.
- The IRC will cater for accommodation for the general surgeon during the period of the consultancy.
- The consultant will pay for his meals at IRC cafeteria during the period.
- Payments for consultancy will be made after submission of the surgical report to the Health Manager.
Kenyan nationals are encouraged to apply.
International allowances are not available for this position.
Salary and employee benefits are compliant to the Kenyan NGO Sector.