MSF Switzerland Clinical Officer (Anesthetist) Job 2017
Welcome to Jobwebkenya.com. This website helps you to achieve your career dream by linking you to vacancies from Top Companies in Kenya. Job Seekers are also exposed to best articles for career growth and development. Click Here to Subscribe for Job Alerts We strongly advise graduates not to pay money before getting a Job. Report fraudulent jobs to email@example.com
- Company: Reputable Company
- Location: Mombasa, Coast, Kenya
- State: Mombasa
- Job type: Full-Time
- Job category: Healthcare/Medical Jobs in Kenya
The objective of the activities is to increase access to quality maternal & neonatal health care services to contribute in improving maternal and newborn outcomes.
Main Tasks include, but not limited to:
- Ensure the implementation and standardization of MSF clinical policies, tools, and hygiene protocols in order to minimize clinical risks and to granting quality of patient care management.
- Promote and maintain confidentiality regarding all patient cases and records
- Implement diagnose, prescription and prevention procedures that fall under the scope of his/her competencies applying medical knowledge, asking appropriate questions to patients and following protocols in force as well as using laboratory services when necessary, in order to ensure a correct implementation of the medical treatments and to refer patients when appropriate.
- Participate in the planning and supervising, in close coordination with other supervisors, the HR processes (sizing, staff shifts, recruitment, training, evaluation, development and communication) of the team in order to ensure both the sizing and the amount of knowledge required, improve people triage capabilities, their motivation and commitment and their active participation in teaching the targeted population on therapeutic and preventive protocols.
- Carry out first aid care and treatment according to protocols in case of an emergency in order to reduce mortality rates
- Record in individual patient’s card and registration books all medical activities (drugs prescribed, lab results, vaccination status, epidemiological activity, doses, etc) performed keeping data traceability in order to ensure patients treatment continuity.
- Participate in data collecting and reporting when required
- Know and implement Patient Therapeutic Education (PTE), i.e. keeping contact with all patients, providing them information regarding their health state and responding to their questions.
- Know and promote the proper application of Post Exposure Prophylaxis (PEP) Kit and Sexually Gender Based Violence (SGBV) protocol.
- Perform consultations to patients due to undergo surgery, evaluating the risks of operating in collaboration with the surgeon/Medical officer, checking that patients authorize their operations in writing, providing them with appropriate information on their illness and treatments, and deciding on what type of anaesthetics to be used, in order to collaborate in setting everything up before surgery.
- Evaluate the risk of operating in collaboration with the Surgeon Doctor.
- Carry-out all anaesthetics related activities during surgery, according to the procedures set before-hand by the doctor anaesthetist (if any); to collaborate in patient’s adequate anaesthetized state and safety during the process.
- Prepare beforehand the drugs, material, and equipment required.
- Administer and maintain anaesthetics following the rules of hygiene and asepsis in force.
- Monitor patients throughout the whole intervention.
- Provide post-operative care, including immediate post-operative surveillance in the recovery room (ensuring patient’s recovery of consciousness and setting analgesic protocol) and special patients present in the intensive care unit, to adapt the prescriptions (hydric resuscitation, anti-biotherapies, analgesics), with special focus on patient’s pain relief, during the stabilization and recovery process.
- Do round consultations with the Surgeon/ Medical officer once or twice a day, discussing therapeutic orientations with the department manager, renewing prescriptions and ensuring they are followed and systematically evaluating patients’ pain to adapt prescriptions and/or therapies for their relief.
- Implement and follow at all times hygiene rules, procedures and protocols, as well as look after the integrity of anesthesia material (decontamination, sterilization, storage conditions, etc.) and other equipment, in order to ensure the safety and protection of patients and other staff. Know accidental blood exposure policy and procedure and implements them when necessary.
- Carry out all pharmacy related activities (stock control, station’s re-stocking, inventories, expired drugs, etc.) and other equipment of anaesthetic ward, doing special follow-up of narcotics and sedatives (register, consumptions, empty phials, etc.), ensuring enough stock-up and the good functioning to carry-out the medical activities. Draw up pharmacy orders according to needs.
- Collaborate with other departments within the project (responding to accident emergency department requests, intervening in support of other services when needed, etc.), to support the overall MSF project with his/her expertise and capabilities.
- Carry out administrative procedures and documents (fill in of patients files, forms, statistics, data base, etc.), to have updated and correct information about the day-to-day activities.
- In collaboration with the Surgeon/ medical officer Doctor, carry out quantitative surgical-anaesthesia data collection, draw up and send out reports for the monthly follow up of peri-surgical mortality and for the quality of anaesthesia/pain management and informs immediately the direct supervisor in the event of medical error.
- Support other medical services whenever needed, particularly accident and emergency department and midwifery and obstetrics team in the maternity department (especially to resuscitate newborns).
- Reference person for pain problems within the health facility.
- When applicable train other medical staff.
Education: Essential clinical officer diploma/ Medicine Diploma with valid registration.
- Stress management