Africare Job Vacancy : IMPACT Project Operations Coordinator
Welcome to JobwebKenya.com. This website helps you to achieve your career dream by linking you to vacancies from Top Companies in Kenya. Job Seekers are also exposed to best articles for career growth and development. Click Here to Subscribe for Job Alerts We strongly advise graduates not to pay money before getting a Job. Report fraudulent jobs to [email protected]
- Company: Africare
- Location: Nairobi, Nairobi County, Kenya
- State: Nairobi
- Job type: Full-Time
- Job category: NGO Jobs in Kenya
Africare is rolling out the Improved Approach to Community-based Nutrition in Turkana (IMPACT) project in Kenya. The goal of IMPACT is to significantly improve nutrition outcomes for pregnant and lactating women and infants and young children (defined as <2 years of age) in Turkana County. Africare aims thereby to sustainably increase diet diversity, and reduce malnutrition and hunger.
Africare will serve as lead in delivering the IMPACT Program. IMPACT currently targets villages in Katilu and Turkana South Wards where the program seeks to increase the quality and quantity of nutritious foods available to households via community gardening and improved nutrition services via health worker training and capacitation, in addition to promoting improved optimal infant and young child feeding (IYCF) and hygiene practices, and micronutrient supplementation via a set behavior change package owned by Africare; all of which will be delivered via specified channels at the health facility and community levels.
Duties and Responsibilities:
Africare is looking for an Operations Coordinator. The contract is currently set for 3 months and Africare anticipates about 75 days of work or 600 hours. S/he will report to the Director – Monitoring, Evaluation, and Knowledge Learning (MEKL) at Africare Headquarters in Washington DC, USA.
This effort will cover the time required, with possibility of extension as needed, for office set up and launch. In this time, the contractor will serve as Africare’s face on ground, will liaise with all stakeholders including all relevant government offices, identify and map out needs for set up and program rollout, and finally, manage the launch event planning and rollout within 2 months in Lodwar, Turkana County.
Africare is seeking someone on ground with an operations and management in development background to set up offices, execute initial set up strategically, as well as managerial experience to allow for effective oversight and management of recruitment of a locally-based team and finances during rollout in Turkana County. S/he will demonstrate integrity and drive for the coordination, planning and rollout for the IMPACT Project. S/he will also leverage knowledge and insight into the workings of the national health system, agriculture and food security frameworks, and government, specifically supporting liaison with the Ministry and key local stakeholders, as well as logistical and operations management to assure on ground set up.
• Minimum bachelor’s degree in a relevant field like agriculture, health, economics, international relations, business administration, with technical specialization or experience in nutrition, food security, nutrition-sensitive agriculture, resilience or social behaviour change for health programming; Master’s degree or higher preferred.
• Five (5) years practical NGO and Africa-based related development and operations assistance experience required. Preferably in Eastern Africa.
• Demonstrated operations and program set up and coordination experience.
• 1-3 years’ experience with some monitoring, evaluation and assessment.
• An understanding of US-based non-profit/development work, organizational structures and reporting.
• Demonstrable program management, coordination and people management experience.
• Strong engagement, diplomacy and strategic operations skills.
• Clear and open communication (via email and on the phone), also at odd hours with HQ in Washington DC (7-8 hours behind, on US Eastern Standard Time)
• Organized and able to deliver to tight deadlines.
• Integrity and transparent working practices.
• Capacity to oversee and produce fiscal reports in line with Africare and funder requirements.
• Familiar with MS Office and other software packages including proficient email use and ability to communicate effectively in writing.
• Ability to live in Turkana County, Kenya and travel under uncomfortable conditions (at times off road) within the county, and work on ground through the end of the contract in June 2018.
• Networks within the ministries of health and agriculture in Turkana and / or nationally for Kenya. Or, alternatively partnership building capacities, and demonstrable experience working with decision-making bodies and policy-makers.
• Fluent Swahili and on ground working experience in Eastern Africa. Ability to speak HaTurkana.
• A plus are research and program technical skills in nutrition and food security, or agriculture.
How to Apply
Applications should include a CV, writing sample and (if possible, that include(s) a report presenting complex information relevant to nutrition or nutrition-sensitive agriculture programming and operations in Africa), and cover letter. In cover letter (of no more than two pages in length), the potential candidate should briefly describe his or her motivation of the position and highlight experience and salary requirements. Please email materials to [email protected] including “Operations Coordinator – IMPACT Program - Turkana County” in the subject line All applications must be submitted no later than May 25, 2018. The position will remain open until filled. Africare is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer committed to workplace diversity.