Assistant Manager – Business Development (Freight Services) at Kenya Railways
- Company: Kenya Railways
- Location: Kenya
- State: Nairobi
- Job type: Full-Time
- Job category: Sales/Marketing Jobs in Kenya
The current rail network in Kenya is the metre gauge commonly referred to as ‘The Lunatic Line’. It was initially named the ‘Uganda Railway’ after its destination. Its construction began in the Port city of Mombasa in 1896 and was completed in 1901 at the lines terminus in Kisumu. Operations on the line commenced in 1903. The Lunatic Line links Kampala in Uganda with the Indian Ocean town of Mombasa. Branch lines were built to Thika in 1913, Lake Magadi in 1915, Kitale in 1926, Naro Moru in 1927 and from Tororo to Soroti in 1929. In 1929, the Uganda railway became Kenya Uganda Railways &amp; Habours. In 1931, a branchline to Mount Kenya was completed and the main line was extended from Nakuru to Kampala in Uganda. The line is 1,000 mm and is a single track all through with occasional sidings and passing points to deal with opposing traffic.
Reports to the Business Development Manager. Responsible for driving business growth initiatives and strategies towards achieving the corporation’s mandate of offering reliable, efficient and effective rail and inland waterways transport services through the identification and development of business opportunities and the delivery of sustainable end to end freight service solutions that meet customer satisfaction.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Overseeing the business development cycle through establishment of in-depth understanding of the industry landscape and detailed environmental scanning and market analysis.
- Develops and implements business development processes that provides effective strategic planning, commitment of resources, and overall planning for the corporation.
- In collaboration and partnership with the private and public sectors, identifies and pursues new and diversified growth business opportunities to achieve the corporation’s growth targets and objectives.
- Formulates innovative value propositions to diversify the corporation’s business portfolio and grow its share of the logistics chain.
- Leads in the sustainable development of new target customer profiles, segmentation, maintenance of key customer relationships, solutions design and facilitates approval of business proposals
- Leads in analysis of current and forecasted demand to ensure volumes are appropriate for meeting the growth objectives of the business.
- Develops sales strategy for identified customer segments to enhance customer experience
- Monitors and reviews customer satisfaction levels through market survey analysis and develops mitigating strategies
- Motivates, develops and appraises staff in the division to achieve business and people objectives
- Develops strategic relationships with stakeholders to foster enhanced business relationships and future opportunities
- Ensures quick response to customer enquiries by setting up systems, processes and tools to effectively track all customer engagements.
- Enforces compliance to Quality Management System in the division by ensuring that train operations processes meet the requirements of ISO Standards
Requirements for the Job
- Master of Business Administration or equivalent from a recognized University
- Bachelor Degree in Business or related Subjects from a recognized University;
- A minimum of eight (8) years’ work experience and at least three (3) in a supervisory role in the Public Service or Private Sector;
- Be registered with a relevant professional body (CIM/MSK/ISK) where applicablValid Annual Practicing License where applicable Certificate in Management Course lasting not less four (4) weeks from a recognized institution;
- Proficiency in computer applications;
- Fulfilled requirements of chapter 6 of the Constitution;
TERMS OF OFFER
An attractive remuneration package commensurate with qualifications and responsibilities of the position will be negotiated with the right candidate.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates MUST complete the Kenya Railways application form KR/HR/08, attach their testimonials, certificates, copy of their National Identification Card (ID) and Curriculum Vitae (CV).
In compliance with the Chapter Six of the Constitution, attach the following documents:
- Certificate of Good Conduct from the Directorate of Criminal Investigations (DCI)
- Clearance/Compliance Certificate from Higher Education Loans Board (HELB)
- Tax Compliance Certificate from Kenya Revenue Authority (KRA)
- Clearance from Ethics and Anti-Corruption Commission (EACC)
- Clearance from Credit Reference Bureau (CRB)
P.O. Box 30121, 00100,
Note: Only the short listed candidates will be contacted. Canvassing will lead to automatic disqualification.
KENYA RAILWAYS IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
Closing Date : 12th May, 2021