Associate Programme Officer at International Institute for Democracy and Electoral Assistance
- Company: International Institute for Democracy and Electoral Assistance
- Location: Kenya
- State: Nairobi
- Job type: Full-Time
- Job category: Administrative/Secretarial Jobs in Kenya
International IDEA is governed by its Council of Member States. The organization is governed by its Statutes, the latest of which entered into force November 2008. Membership in International IDEA is open to governments which demonstrate, by example in their own state, their commitment to the rule of law, human rights, the basic principles of democratic pluralism and strengthening democracy.
International IDEA is managing a two-year Dutch Ministry of Foreign Affairs funded programme to support consolidation of democracy and accountable governance in Kenya, and to contribute to SDG 16 to promote peaceful and inclusive societies for sustainable development, provide access to justice for all and build effective, accountable and inclusive institutions at all levels.
The programme seeks to support consolidation of democracy and accountable governance by supporting institutional capacity strengthening of the Office of the Registrar of Political Parties (ORPP) to discharge its statutory mandate and support the organizational development of political parties in Kenya; enhance mechanisms for accountability and active citizenry in local governance; and expand the knowledge base on the political reforms in Kenya.
The Associate Programme Officer will support planning and implementation of programme activities. The incumbent will also support political analysis in Kenya and advise programme team members on the implications of political developments to the programme.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Supports the provision of technical assistance to programme partners, national institutions and other stakeholders;
- Supports the design and implementation of training programmes, conferences, seminars and workshops in accordance with the workplan.
- Supports Programme Manager to identify synergies and partnership opportunities for the implementation of programme activities in Kenya;
- Contributes to the creation of mechanisms and opportunities that allow for the exchange of information and experiences in the region; Assists in identifying issues of common interest and supports the implementation of related activities for democracy promotion;
- Contributes to the design and development of knowledge products;
- Supports the promotion of dialogue and consensus building among political actors in Kenya;
- Requires in-depth knowledge, excellent skills and relevant experience in the field of democracy, gender and political participation;
- Will contribute to the programme in different aspects of the project life cycle, more specifically will conduct research and analysis, will draft various documents (articles, concept notes, agreements, etc.) and will support the projects vis-à-vis all internal and external stakeholders;
- Adds value to team-based activities in his/her unit; collaborates with other entities of the Institute as required; Interacts successfully with multidisciplinary teams;
- Can be expected to travel globally to any geographical area involved in his/her projects;
- Follows internal procedures to ensure high standards of performance and compliance with Institutional guidelines;
- Acts in accordance with International IDEA’ s core values; Respect, Integrity and Professionalism;
- Integrates a gender and diversity perspective in all activities.
- Programme Manager.
- Has good knowledge in own discipline and some understanding of related disciplines to be able to approach programmatic issues in a holistic manner;
Operational Knowledge, skills and experience
- Integrates a results-based approach into the design, management and evaluation of all his/her programmatic activities;
- Has a good understanding of the key geographical zone where his/her work is implemented – which may imply field/international experience at some point;
- Contributes to the research of information on donors and partners, and all other activities related to resource mobilization and partnership building;
- Illustrates integrity, a collaborative spirit, a sense of achievement, and an understanding of risk management.
- No direct people management responsibility.
- Is able to solve problems of varying degrees of complexity; approaches issues with new perspectives; analyses situations from a multitude of intervening factors;
- Has an impact on the programme development and delivery.
Communication and Interpersonal Skills
- Liaises regularly with all internal and external stakeholders involved in his/her projects;
- Acts in all assignments with personal energy and engagement;
- Has good communication and negotiation skills, including with authorities, civil society actors and public officials, and clear and well-organized presentation of ideas and concepts;
- Respects coworkers, generating a harmonious and participatory climate;
- Fluency in written and oral English is required; Any other widely spoken language in an International IDEA priority region would be an asset.
Education and Experience
- University degree in political science, law sociology, international relations or other related subject;
- A minimum of three (3) years of relevant professional experience working in the field of democracy and governance, political participation and representation and/or gender;
- Experience of working in an international context, e.g. in an intergovernmental organization, considered an advantage;
- Field experience is an asset;
- Proven experience in engaging, cultivating and influencing stakeholders;
- Previous experience of working on donor funded projects will be considered an asset.
Terms of Contract:
- Local Post
- Remuneration: GROSS Salary 237,139 Kenyan Shillings per month.
- Contract duration: Fixed term appointment until 31 December 2022.
Please note as this is a local post, International IDEA will bear no costs relating to relocation of the selected candidate to the duty station. This position is open to those legally authorized to live and work in Kenya.
Method of Application
Please note that all applications must be made in English
International IDEA is an equal opportunity employer which seeks to further diversify its staff in terms of gender, culture and nationality.
Closing Date : 16th November, 2020