Budget & Programming Associate at United Nations World Food Programme
- Company: United Nations World Food Programme
- Location: Kenya
- State: Nairobi
- Job type: Full-Time
- Job category: Accounting Jobs in Kenya
The United Nations World Food Programme is the world’s largest humanitarian agency fighting hunger worldwide. The mission of WFP is to help the world achieve Zero Hunger in our lifetimes. Every day, WFP works worldwide to ensure that no child goes to bed hungry and that the poorest and most vulnerable, particularly women and children, can access the nutritious food they need.
Education: Completion of secondary school education. A post-secondary certificate in the related functional area.
Language: Fluency in oral and written English.
This job will be in Kenya Country Office (KCO). The job holder will report directly to the Budget & Programming Officer.
The job holder at this level will demonstrate responsibility and initiative to respond independently to complex queries with only general guidance. There is a requirement to use judgment in dealing with unforeseen problems on a daily basis. The job holder will support management of financial resources and may provide guidance to other staff.
1. Review budget plans, monitor and analyse project financial performance and make recommendations in compliance with WFP financial policies and procedures and best practices, to support financial analysis and optimisation of resources.
2. Provide comprehensive analysis on fund and grant balances identifying surpluses and deficits, and suggest corrective measures, to support maximum fund utilization and decision-making process.
3. Support pipeline management ensuring efficient monitoring, to prevent and address pipeline breaks and maximise operational effectiveness.
4. Contribute to the improvement of internal processes, enhancement of corporate systems and design of tools, to facilitate the overall planning, expenditure forecasting, and budget management and monitoring of resource utilisation.
5. Enter project budget plans and revisions in the corporate systems, to ensure data is timely and accurately captured enabling easy access to information and supporting planning and decision-making.
6. Review, compile and analyse data, maintain accurate records and files and prepare periodic and ad hoc reports, to support accuracy and efficiency of information presented to internal and external stakeholders.
7. Maintain communication with a number of stakeholders regarding project funds management matters and related processes, to clarify any discrepancies and optimise use of funds.
8. Provide guidance to other support staff and contribute to their learning and development in budget planning, fund management and operational planning, to facilitate continued development and consistency in services delivered.
9. Follow standard emergency preparedness practices, to ensure WFP is able to quickly respond and deploy needed resources to affected areas at the onset of the crisis.
- Understand and communicate the Strategic Objectives: Coaches team in the most effective ways to communicate WFP’s Strategic Objectives to WFP team and partners in the field.
- Be a force for positive change: Implements new methods or tools to improve team’s work processes and productivity.
- Make the mission inspiring to our team: Maps team’s activities and tasks to specific successes in beneficiary communities to showcase positive impact.
- Make our mission visible in everyday actions: Explains to teammates how each unit contributes to the overall WFP mission.
- Look for ways to strengthen people’s skills: Identifies skill development opportunities such as training modules or on-the-job experiences for self, colleagues and direct reports.
- Create an inclusive culture: Facilitates team building activities to build rapport in own unit.
- Be a coach & provide constructive feedback: Facilitates the pairing of junior colleagues with coaches within own team.
- Create an “I will”/”We will” spirit: Proactively anticipates potential challenges and develops mitigation plans to ensure that team meets goals and targets.
- Encourage innovation & creative solutions: Identifies opportunities to be creative in own work and to help team be more innovative and accurate in their respective tasks and areas of work.
- Focus on getting results: Monitors team’s deliverables and provides feedback to ensure outcomes are delivered consistently and accurately.
- Make commitments and make good on commitments: Provides accurate guidance to team on expected responsibilities and tasks, whilst also upholding own commitment to the team.
- Be Decisive: Sets an example and provides guidance to junior team members on when to escalate issues when faced with challenging issues in the workplace or in the field.
- Connect and share across WFP units: Facilitates partnerships with other WFP units to accomplish missions in the field.
- Build strong external partnerships: Sets an example and provides guidance to team on how to build relationships with external partners.
- Be politically agile & adaptable: Articulates to colleagues or direct reports the value of contributing to other WFP teams and agency partnerships in fulfilling WFP’s goals and objectives.
- Be clear about the value WFP brings to partnerships: Organizes, monitors, and prioritizes own and team’s efforts to ensure that they will fulfill the needs of internal and external partners.
|Capability Name||Description of the behaviour expected for the proficiency level|
|Internal Controls & Compliance||Utilizes understanding of risk management approaches and internal controls to monitor projects and programmes to confirm regulatory compliance and ensure data integrity.|
|Performance Budgeting, Analysis & Reporting||Analyzes budgets and forecasts to support the development of recommendations for senior leadership on financial and business planning matters in accordance with Value for Money principles.|
|Resource Management||Monitors trends in staffing and resource usage to anticipate and escalate potential issues to programme leaders.|
|Performance Management||Displays sufficient understanding of WFP performance management system to gather relevant and accurate information from internal and external sources for inputs to monitoring and/or evaluation processes.|
|Supply Chain and Operations Knowledge||Demonstrates basic understanding of WFP programme, implementation, and supply chain principles (including project modalities & structures).|
• Has supported the preparation and management of budgets.
• Has assisted with the monitoring of budgets/resource plans/pipelines/supply chains.
• Has assisted with budget/allotment related issues within the WFP budget system.
- Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted and advance to the next stage of the selection process.
- The World Food Programme DOES NOT CHARGE A FEE AT ANY STAGE OF THE RECRUITMENT PROCESS.
- WFP embraces diversity and equal opportunity. We are committed to building a team that celebrates diversity and inclusivity in all ways. All employment is decided on the basis of qualifications and merit.
- Applications for this position will close at 11:59 p.m. (East African Time) on the deadline date.
- The deadline for recieving applications for this position is 27 February 2020.