Career Advisory and Alumni Officer at Hatua Network
We have the largest Job seeker visits by alexa rankings. Post a Job
- Company: Hatua Network
- Location: Kenya
- State: Mombasa
- Job type: Full-Time
- Job category: Education/Teaching Jobs in Kenya
About Hatua Network:
Hatua Network is a community organization that prepares youth to thrive in Kenya’s workforce by providing promising, low-income students access to the education, mentoring, career guidance and professional networks they need to contribute to and benefit from Kenya’s growing economy.
Our interlocking programs support youth over a period of 10 years, through high-school mentoring focused on soft skill, leadership development programs for secondary graduates, one-on-one professional career coaching for university students, and career linkages for our tertiary graduates.
Throughout we work closely with the private sector to source for mentors and career opportunities for our youth, while ensuring our programs prepare youth with the skills and character traits employers seek.
To date we are serving 647 young people, including 523 of whom we are currently sponsoring and mentoring through secondary and tertiary education, and 124 who have completed college or university. Among our alumni 91% are working within a year of graduation, earning an average income that is 3X their family income combined. This is a total transformation from poverty to professional careers.
About the role:
We provide access to education, but completing a university degree doesn’t guarantee that students successfully transition into the workplace. As the Career Advisory and Alumni Officer, you will support our alumni in securing employment opportunities by ensuring they have the relevant job search skills to succeed in the application process through group and individual support services. You will also coordinate our alumni activities and over the years help build a thriving network of alumni, who succeed in their careers, life and communities, and who are deeply committed to Hatua Network and give back to future generations of youth.
Your responsibilities will include:
Support Hatua alumni secure relevant career opportunities-
● Plan and run alumni boot camps using Hatua’s career skills training materials to equip our recent graduates with the mindset and skills needed to successfully navigate the job search process.
● Collect and provide feedback on CVs and cover letters from all graduates.
● Provide personalized coaching to graduating students, and any alumni who are not employed, through their job search process, and support them in their networking efforts.
● Refer alumni for relevant opportunities sourced through Hatua employer partners, and follow up through their application process to ensure alumni submit strong applications and are well prepared for interviews.
● Monitor alumni income and identify those who are unemployed or underemployed, support these alumni to seek improved job opportunities.
Support the growth and impact of Hatua’s alumni network-
● Come up with new ideas to help Hatua alumni remain closely connected to each other and to Hatua
● Host regular alumni engagement activities online and in-person
● Encourage alumni to refer fellow alumni for open roles with their employers
● Engage alumni to support Hatua by donating funds, time or participating in mentoring
● Recognize alumni for outstanding achievements and service to others
● Help to create and implement an alumni communications strategy
● Draft monthly alumni highlights for social media and Hatua’s newsletters
● Connect all Hatua students, alumni and mentors in a community platform (using LinkedIn or another platform)
Spearhead alumni contribution to and participation in Hatua’s professional industry groups-
● Monitor the progress of the professional industry groups (made up of mentors, alumni and university students), assess its value to the alumni and collaborate with Hatua’s university mentoring coordinator to continuously iterate the program to optimize its impact
● Encourage alumni to serve as champions within each industry group and regularly bring alumni, mentors and students together under professional themes
General Program Management-
● Track alumni related programs and successes, maintain updated alumni data, and ensure regular reporting.
● Regularly collect and analyze alumni and employer feedback on ways to strengthen the department
● Continuously iterate on our methodologies, stay updated with industry trends and best practices, finding innovative ways to provide value to our alumni and partners.
● Provide input to curriculum and mentoring departments to improve the quality of our soft skills and career skills training, career fairs and mentorship programs.
● Overall program quality control to ensure every alumni has the support they need to realize their career potential.
Who we are looking for:
● You are highly passionate about youth empowerment and workforce development. You are excited by the thought of supporting young people towards great careers.
● You like to support others and have a track record of providing one on one customized support to young adults to creatively solve diverse personal and professional challenges
● You have strong listening skills.
● You are a confident public speaker with the ability to host objective-driven conversations for small groups of young people. If you don’t have previous experience in hosting trainings, you are interested to learn
● You have previously excelled in a people-facing job where you talk to many different people every day
● You have very strong communication skills and promptly stay on top of all your email communication.
● You track data with attention to detail and draw insights that inform the strategy of your work.
● You have strong project management skills and mindset and proven ability to organize your own workload with diverse priorities.
● You are proactive and enjoy the creative process of continuously iterating and improving your way of working.
● Experience in providing career guidance and having a strong understanding of the challenges facing entry-level job seekers is an added advantage.
You have the cultural fit to work with the team at Hatua Network, if:
● You are 100% values driven and want to instill strong values in the next generation
● You enjoy working with and for the community
● You are a great team player, people talk about you being helpful and collaborative
● You are able to work independently and bring results in an unstructured environment
● You enjoy diversity and you
are generally optimistic about the future
Why work with us?
● We get a lot of fulfillment by working with underprivileged youth and seeing them transform their lives over the 10 years they engage closely with us. If you enjoy building deep emotional connections and seeing the impact of your work, this job is for you
● Our team has a deep sense of ownership over the organization. Everyone has the chance to take a leadership role and contribute to the organization’s growth
● Build interesting networks
● We believe in personal growth and you will have a lot of opportunities for career development as the organization grows
● We have a strong sense of family within our team and understand the importance of having some level of flexibility around working hours
Other information: The successful candidate will start in January 2022. You will be based in Mombasa, and work between our offices in Likoni and on Mombasa Island. We’ll arrange a 6-month probation period with learning and delivery objectives.
Method of ApplicationSubmit your CV - Click Here to Continue and Apply
Closing Date : 23 Jan. 2022