Chief Finance Officer at Aga Khan Education Services
- Company: Aga Khan Education Services
- Location: Kenya
- State: Nairobi
- Job type: Full-Time
- Job category: Accounting Jobs in Kenya
The CFO Kenya will provide leadership in finance, ICT, procurement and general administration in AKES Kenya. S/he will ensure effective risk management as well as compliance with AKES policy and professional standards across functional areas.
The main focus for this role will direct all matters related to the financial management and functioning of the AKES Kenya, and as the most senior finance leader in the region, s/he would also have oversight of financial management for AKES Tanzania and Uganda, working closely with the Finance Managers in each country.
- Assure the financial performance of AKES Kenya and oversee operations.
- Working closely with the Finance Managers oversee the financial performance of Tanzania and Uganda.
- Drive the annual operational budget cycle of AKES Kenya, and working with the Finance Managers oversee the budget cycles in Tanzania and Uganda.
- Review and strengthen the financial management policies, systems and processes across all units to bring about cohesion and best practice.
- Build capacity of the finance team in AKES Kenya by providing regular training and mentoring to upgrade staff skills and performance.
- Identify and leverage opportunities for resource optimization through shared services and purchasing between field units and other AKDN agencies in East Africa.
- Supervise grant management and donor funded projects including budget development for the external funding opportunities.
Quality Control and Compliance:
- Ensure that all financial management activities conform to best practices and comply with Institutional policies and government legislation, operating and programmatic licensing requirements.
- Review the internal control systems and risk management systems and suggest improvements to AKES Head Office & CEOs in Kenya, Tanzania and Uganda, and working with the Finance Managers track the, implementation of audit recommendations.
- Ensure that the books and records, annual statutory filings, all aspects of inter-company transactions between the Head Office, other AKDN agencies in East Africa, other AKES units and the field units are well maintained and appropriately managed.
AKES Statutory Board Management:
- Assist the CEO Kenya, to manage Board/steering committee’s relationships and to ensure statutory compliance, as and where applicable.
- Work with the CEOs and local Finance Managers to ensure effective Board governance in Tanzania and Uganda.
Procurement, ICT and administration management:
- Provide leadership in planning as well as organization and implementation of the annual procurement, administrative and ICT work plans.
- Ensure total compliance to AKES Kenya procurement policy as well as Value for Money (VFM) assurance.
- Develop and enforce systems for contracts, facilities and fleet management. Carry out a review of all insurable risks and maintain insurance cover accordingly.
- Review the capital projects financial reports and monitor the financial performance of AKES capital projects in Kenya and working with the Finance Managers ensure an effective monitoring process for Tanzania and Uganda
- Assess the performance of each unit against their respective capital expenditure budgets and insure compliance with local rules and regulations, contracts and insurances.
Support CEO and other senior management on operational management and willing to accept additional responsibilities, as and when needed by the Institution.
- A university graduate with professional and internationally recognized qualifications, preferably ACCA or CPA or equivalent Chartered Accountant;
- Worked for or qualified with, a professional accounting firm and a post-grad MBA or similar internationally recognized advance degree or professional qualification in finance.
- At least 15 years of professional experience in relevant field and having held a leadership role in a commercial
or not for profit setting.
- Substantial experience in financial management of multiple business units and ideally experience gained in an education organization.
- Knowledge and practical experience of a wide range of business functions and systems, specifically financial.
- Additional experience in operational management, business analysis, audit, and compliance and familiarity with computer-based financial management systems would be valued.
- Cultural awareness, understanding and sensitivity.
- High level of drive and personal motivation, coupled with the presence required to interact effectively with senior personnel across the AKES system and the wider AKDN, as well as at government and non-governmental levels.
- Strong written and spoken English, including reports and proposal writing.
- High degree of professionalism, commitment and integrity.
- Clear understanding of strategy, as well as a keen sense of business.
- Ability to think creatively, solve problems and make decisions based on sound judgment drawing on expertise
- Willingness to travel as and when needed.
About the Agency
The Aga Khan Education Services (AKES) is one of the largest private, not-for-profit, non-denominational educational networks in the developing world.
AKES currently operates over 200 pre-primary, primary, secondary, and higher-secondary schools and programmes in diverse geographic locations in Afghanistan, Bangladesh, India, Kenya, Kyrgyzstan, Pakistan, Tajikistan, Tanzania, Uganda and the United Arab Emirates. Schools offer their respective country’s national curricula; some schools in East Africa and Bangladesh also offer international curricula (IB and British)
Method of Application
Closing Date : 26 May, 2020