Chief Technical Advisor (CTA) at Ministry of Environment and Forestry
- Company: Ministry of Environment and Forestry
- Location: Kenya
- State: Nairobi
- Job type: Full-Time
- Job category: Engineering Jobs in Kenya
The Ministry of Environment and Forestry was created vide Executive Order No. 1 of 2018 on the organization of government of Kenya. It is mandated to undertake National Environment Policy and Management, Forestry development policy and management, Development of re-afforestation and agro-forestry, Restoration of strategic water towers, Protection and conservation of Natural environment, Pollution control, Lake Victoria management programme, Restoration of Lake Naivasha basin, Kenya Meteorological department, Kenya meteorological training, Conservation and protection of wetlands and Climate change affairs.
Under the overall supervision and guidance of the Project Manager, the UNDP County Office and the Regional Technical Advisor for chemicals and Waste for the region, the Chief Technical Advisor will be responsible for providing overall technical backstopping and management support to the Project, and in particular provide technical assistance to implementation of Project Component 3.
Term of Engagement: The position shall be on an initial twelve (12) months contract with possibility for extension.
Duties and Responsibilities
Reporting to the project manager, the Chief Technical Advisor will:
- Prepare Evidence-based economic models of processing plant upgrades based on existing best practice mines and chemical-free pilot plants established;
- Train miners and managers of mining groups on record keeping and reporting;
- Support mining groups in the development of loan applications;
- Provide guidance to the project team on the development of socioeconomic baseline surveys (including collection of sex-disaggregated data) and mercury/gold mass balance inventories for each of the priority project sites;
- Review accumulated data (including amount of gold produced and amount of mercury used/released) and review the report that will be presented to the government;
- Provide guidance on the training of miners by trainers at existing plants and laboratory installations using existing and newly developed training materials and resources (incl. the use of practical on-site liberation tests to give miners the opportunity to observe results hand and learn how to obtain such results themselves).
Required skills and expertise
Applicants must possess the following, in order to be considered for appointment to the position:
- Master’s degree, in the field of mining, environmental management, hazardous waste management or a related field;
- Bachelor’s degree preferably in the field of mining, environmental management, hazardous waste management or a related field.
- PhD in the field of mining, environmental management, hazardous waste management or similar; will be an added advantage.
- At least three (3) years experience of working in environmental projects related to reducing mercury in the Artisanal and Small-Scale God Mining (ASGM) sector.
- Strong leadership, managerial and coordination skills, with a demonstrated ability to effectively coordinate the implementation of large multi-stakeholder project;
- Ability to coordinate and supervise multiple Regional Project Officer (RPOs) in their implementation of technical activities in partnership with a variety of subnational stakeholder groups, including community and government;
- Strong computer application skills, in particular mastery of all applications of the MS Office package and internet search;
- Strong drafting, presentation and reporting skills;
- Strong communication skills, especially in timely and accurate responses to emails;
- Very good inter-personal skills;
- Excellent language skills in English (writing, speaking and reading); and
- Strong knowledge about the political and socio-economic context related to ASGM at national and subnational levels.
Method of ApplicationDownload the specific job requirements for the positions from the Ministry of Environment and Forestry Website page www.environmment.go.ke, read this carefully as it lists the skills, knowledge and qualifications required.Fill in each section of the Bio - Data Form clearly in typed, block letters.
- The Bio-Data Form must be accompanied with an Application Letter, detailed Curriculum Vitae, Certified Copies of Academic Certificates, National Identify Card, and Testimonials.
- All applications should be addressed to,
The Cabinet Secretary,
Ministry of Environment and Forestry,
P.O. Box 30126,
- In Submitting the applications, Applicants can;
- Email their applications, in Ms Word or PDF; to
with the position Title as the subject; or
- Drop a hard copy; in sealed envelope at the
Ministry’s (Main) Registry
on 13th Floor,
- Post a hard copy;
- With the position title clearly indicated at the left hand corner of the envelope.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Any form of canvassing will lead to Automatic Disqualification.
Closing Date : 8th July, 2021