Director Legal & Advisory Job at Commission For Administrative Justice, Kenya
Reporting To: Commission Secretary
Directorate: Legal & Advisory
- To co-ordinate, manage and provide leadership to the Legal and Advisory Services Directorate and ensure effective and efficient running thereof including exercising supervisory and disciplinary control of staff within the Directorate.
Legal & Advisory Director Job Main Responsibilities
- Handling and resolution of complaints lodged with the Commission;
- Formulating and implementing policies and strategies on legal and advisory services for the Commission;
- Formulation and review of modes of receiving complaints and synchronizing the physical and electronic files;
- Coordinating the operations of County offices;
- Providing recommendations or remedial alternatives for resolution of disputes and designing effective mechanisms for ensuring compliance;
- Formulating modes and mechanisms for ADR including mediation and conciliation;
- Formulating mechanisms for formal hearings and inquiries by the Commission;
- Providing legal advice to the Commission in all its operations and on matters of compliance with regulatory and statutory requirements;
- Analyzing case files and making appropriate decisions, determinations and recommendations;
- Preparing periodic reports on complaints received and remedial action taken by the Commission for review and evaluation purposes;
- Preparing sound advisory opinions;
- Assisting in designing Civic Education material;
- Drafting pleadings, applications, affidavits, submissions and other legal process and documents as may be necessary from time to time.
- Conducting litigation and representing the Commission in legal proceedings;
- Promoting constitutionalism and observance of human rights, including protection of the rights of minorities and the marginalized in the context of the Commission’s mandate;
- Overseeing the preparation of Directorate work plans, procurements plans, quarterly progress reports, and other statutory reports of the Commission;
- Exercising supervisory and disciplinary control of officers under your charge;
- Any other duties as may be assigned to you by the Commission.
Competencies for Legal & Advisory Director Job
For appointment to this position, a candidate must;
- Have a Bachelor of Laws Degree (LL.B) from a recognized university.
- Have a Masters Degree in Law (LL.M) from a recognized university.
- Be an Advocate of the High Court of Kenya with a current practicing certificate and proven experience in Litigation.
- Have at least eight (8) years proven work experience in legal matters at senior management level.
- Be a Member of the Law Society of Kenya in good standing.
- Have proven supervisory, management and leadership experience.
- Have excellent interpersonal, presentation and communication skills.
- Have good analytical and legal research skills.
- Be fluent in both English and Kiswahili.
- Be computer literate.
- Be a citizen of Kenya.
- Meet the requirements of Chapter 6 of the Constitution of Kenya and the Leadership and Integrity Act, 2012.
- Training in a senior management course will be an added advantage
- Training in a strategic leadership course will be an added advantage
- Training and/or experience on the use of ADR will be an added advantage
Successful candidates will be required to provide copies of clearance or compliance
- Kenya Revenue Authority
- Ethics & Anti-Corruption Commission
- Directorate of Criminal Investigations (CID)
- Law Society of Kenya
- A credit reference bureau
- Higher Education Loans Board
- Advocates Complaints Commission
The Closing date is on 17th June 2016 at 4.30pm