Country Finance & Admin Officer – NorCross at Kenya Red Cross
- Company: Kenya Red Cross
- Location: Kenya
- State: Nairobi
- Job type: Full-Time
- Job category: NGO Jobs in Kenya
The purpose of the Country Finance and Administration Officer is to contribute to financial risk management, and provide the financial, logistics and administrative support needed for the NorCross Kenya Somalia country office.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Coordinate the financial and administrative functions of the country office in line with Norwegian Red Cross rules and procedures.
- Support, as necessary, Host National Societies’ capacity building as required on financial management matters pertaining to operations and finance risk management.
- Prepare the NFO budget in coordination with relevant Field Office staff.
- Review programme budgets as prepared by the Country Manager and Country Programme Officer and ensure they are in line with NorCross budget policies.
- Perform budget analysis as and when required.
- Working with the regional finance team, assist in coordinating the Kenya Somalia budget development and revision process.
- Daily accounting for the NorCross Field Office in compliance with NorCross Operational Manual, including the Finance and Accounting Manual (FAM) and the Regulations for Financial Control.
- Prepare and present monthly financial reports to the Country Representative/the Field Office management.
- Check that IFRC and KRCS supplementary services invoices agree with supporting documentation, and file relevant correspondence herewith.
- For Field Offices also doing accounting for other Field Offices: Receive and control monthly expenditure overview, and supporting documents before posting this into Agresso.
- Filing of documents according to guidelines in the Operational Manual/Finance and Accounting Manual.
- Prepare monthly reconciliations of balance accounts related to the Office. Ensure that the reconciliations are checked and signed by the Country Programme Manager and sent to HQ.
- Provide details of budget vs. actual expenditure to Country Programme Manager as and when required and give advice on financial matters to make appropriate decisions.
- Ensure that the accounting is done in compliance with the relevant back-donor requirements on financial issues/financial management.
- Ensure that the accounting is done according to deadlines set by HQ. Together with the Country Programme Manager ensure control of the overall finance and accounting tasks at the NorCross Field Office. Inform HQ on any delays and/or changes.
- Highlight any identified compliance matters to the Country Programme Manager and the RFM.
- Prepare financial statements for interim and annual audit in line with the annual Audit Engagement Instructions from external auditor.
- Coordinate the interim and annual audit of all programmes accounted for via the Field Office.
- Support the Country Programme Manager in the implementation of internal and external audit recommendations (in accordance with the Field Office Plan of Action based on the Annual Management Letter).
- Communicate with auditors and national society to resolve any further issues of regional office and HQ on matters relating to audit.
- Communicate with Regional Office and HQ and obtain approval on the final Audit reports.
- Ensure that all project expenditure authorization process is as per approved Matrix.
- Ensure that all procurements are in line with Norcross policy and procedures at the point of clearing the payments.
- Review and analyze the monthly financial analysis report prepared and take appropriate measures to clear issues of concern raised by country managers/Case holders.
- Responsible for the review of the NS returns, provide feedback where necessary to both country manager and the NS in the areas of concerns.
- Perform delegated responsibilities on all financial matters to ensure that internal control is in line and effective as required.
- Perform mid-year expenditure review against approved budgets.
If Cash Transfer:
- Monitor cash flow and keep Country Representative informed on liquidity.
- Check that invoices are in accordance with goods/services delivered and set conditions, and agree with supporting documentation (price quote, purchase order, goods received note etc.)
- Under direction from NorCross Representative, quality assure, advise and support on budgeting and financial reporting from partners. Monitor and follow-up of finance/admin related issues.
- Ensure that programme advances to the NS are controlled and cleared with acceptable documentation and vouchers.
- Work closely with the National Societies/country finance officers to ensure timely and quality reporting of advances
- If required, provide support to the Regional Finance Manager in rolling out the new financial working modality within the supported NSs.
If Cash Transfer:
- Assist National society in preparation of Quarterly cash request and utilization report, review the same and submit it to HQ.
- Monthly spot check of NS for occurrence of expenses, expenses are in accordance with budget and POA, validity of monthly reconciliations and outstanding balances
- Assist the NorCross Country Programme Manager to ensure that NorCross Procurement guidelines, and if relevant further donor requirements, are adhered to (for procurement of goods and services) and alert Country Programme Manager / RO /HQ if this is not the case. Consult HQ logistics team when relevant.
- Update the inventory list for the Field Office plus NorCross residence every time there is a change, at least twice annually. Make sure that every item is properly tagged.
- Maintain and update the Office Specific Information form for the Field Office.
- Make travel arrangements including tickets, visas, hotel bookings, office correspondences, minor purchases for Field Office staff and visitors.
- If relevant, sit in/advise the Procurement Committee on major procurements in line with NorCross’s Procurement Guidelines and donor requirements.
- Liaise with IFRC/HNS for HR, Admin and Logistics/Fleet related matters.
- Responsible for collection of time sheets from national staff of NorCross and forward it to the IFRC HR for payroll.
- Prepare NorCross national staff finance payroll sheet and bank transfer letter after review.
- Conduct a financial review of hiring request for NorCross national staff and ToR’s from the requesting department, confirm budget availability and the list of people for the panel interview.
- Prepare payments and ensure necessary signatures/approvals.
- Administer the petty cash according to NorCross’s procedures.
- Prepare monthly petty cash reconciliations for sign off by the Country Programme Manager.
- Develop capacity of the finance team of National society district though continuous monitoring and feedback on finance related queries.
- Perform other relevant duties as assigned.
- Maintain and ensure efficient communication and coordination with the Country Programme Manager, the Regional Finance Manager, the Programme Finance Coordinator, the Accounting Unit and others, at the National Office on financial, administrative, logistic and HR issues.
- Cooperate with finance and admin personnel in other parts of the RCM in the country in order to minimize financial risk.
- Professional qualification in accounting (Chartered accountant, CPA or equivalent)
- A relevant degree in Accounting/Business Administration/Commerce/Economics/Business Studies – accounting option (or equivalent)
- At least two years’ working experience in a humanitarian organization in a similar role or an international accounting/audit firm would be an added advantage
- Advanced knowledge of accounting concepts, financial management and use of reporting applications (e.g. Agresso and Advanced use of excel)
- Advanced skills in computer productivity applications (Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook).
- Understanding of internal control and treasury management concepts
- Ability to analyze financial transactions.
- Proven ability to engage discretely and tactfully with internal and external stakeholders.
Method of Application
Closing Date : 11 April, 2020