Danish Refugee Council Job Vacancy : Deputy Regional Safety Coordinator
Welcome to JobwebKenya.com. This website helps you to achieve your career dream by linking you to vacancies from Top Companies in Kenya. Job Seekers are also exposed to best articles for career growth and development. Click Here to Subscribe for Job Alerts We strongly advise graduates not to pay money before getting a Job. Report fraudulent jobs to [email protected]
- Company: Danish Refugee Council
- Location: Nairobi County, Kenya
- State: Nairobi
- Job type: Full-Time
- Job category: NGO Jobs in Kenya
DRC has been providing relief and development services in the Horn of Africa since 1997. Using a human rights framework, the DRC East Africa and Great Lakes regional operation focuses mainly on people who are affected by displacement, including refugees, internally displaced, and migrants in Kenya, Somalia, Ethiopia, Djibouti, Uganda, Tanzania, Congo and South Sudan. The EAY Regional office also supports non-operational initiatives, focusing on mixed migration issues, civil society engagement, and advocacy and policy initiatives related to displacement.
- Work to ensure that DRC fully meets its duty of care towards DRC staff across the EAGL region.
- Assess safety risks for DRC programmes across EAGL to help facilitate programme delivery. Assessments will be undertaken as described in the DRC organisational handbook and at the direction of the RSC.
- Facilitate the implementation of the SRMS, including undertaking minimum operating safety standards (MOSS) and safely level system (SLS) audits. Safety improvement plans (SIPs) will be drafted.
- Provide safety training to DRC staff in field sites throughout EAGL.
- Travel throughout the region, often at short notice, and for extended deployments.
- Maintain relevant safety documentation, such as SRAs, SOPs, local safety rules, pre-arrival briefings and contingency plans, plus records of safety incidents and training registers. The online safety level system will be kept accurate for all program sites with the assistance of the DRSC.
- Facilitate programme access and continuity through the provision of dependable advice, regular sit-reps, and safety advisories, as needed.
- Lead on the safety of DRC operations in Kenya.
- Any other duties as directed by the regional safety coordinator, or the senior representative of the country of deployment when travelling.
In this position, you are expected to demonstrate each of DRC’ five core competencies:
- Striving for excellence: you focus on reaching results while ensuring an efficient process
- Collaborating: you involve relevant parties and encourage feedback.
- Taking the lead: you take ownership and initiative while aiming for innovation.
- Communicating: You listen and speak effectively and honestly.
- Demonstrating integrity: you act in line with our vision and values
- Experience and technical competencies:
- Degree in security management, politics, management, or similar.
- Minimum two years spent with a humanitarian/development actor.
- Background in safety and security training.
- Strong analytical and writing skills.
- Stable and robust character with excellent interpersonal, communication and teamwork skills.
- Ability to train and convey information to non-safety personnel.
- Strong initiative and self-motivated, with a commitment to humanitarian principles.
- Able to travel across the region at short notice and for extended deployments.
- Fluency in English and Swahili.
- French, Amharic and Somali language abilities are desirable.
- Availability: 12th November 2018
- Duty station: Nairobi – Kenya with travel within the Region.
- Reporting: This position reports Regional Safety Coordinator
- Duration: 1-year contract with possibility of extension, subject to funding and Performance.
- Contract: Salary and conditions in accordance with DRC terms for Kenyan National staff.