Education & Professional Books Team Lead at Text Book Centre Ltd
- Company: Text Book Centre Ltd
- Location: Kenya
- State: Nairobi
- Job type: Full-Time
- Job category: Administrative/Secretarial Jobs in Kenya
Text Book Centre (TBC) is the biggest and most diversified book-seller in Africa. It was founded in 1964 as a partnership between two businessmen in Kenya, Mr. S V Shah and Mr. M J Rughani. TBC has over the years grown tremendously to become the leading bookstore chain in Kenya. Its retail, wholesale and distribution services have unrivalled capacity to meet the demands of Kenya’s vibrant education sector.
REPORTING LINE: Books Category Manager
TRAVEL UP TO: Up to 10% – mainly within Nairobi
WORKPLACE: Text Book Center HQ, Kijabe Street, Nairobi
Textbook Centre is over 55 years old and we aim at continuing to enrich people’s minds for another 55 years or more…
We will endure by reinventing ourselves, striving to satisfy our customers and delighting our consumers, while remaining true to our mission and values. We are therefore looking for an experienced, Education & Professional Books Team Lead.
The incumbent will be responsible for day-to-day management of the assigned Sub-category. He/she will be tasked with end-end ownership of the Education and Professional Books sub-category stocking and sales across all channels, assortment, merchandising, marketing, overall consumer experience and stakeholder management.
Main Responsibilities and Accountabilities
- Lead the overall inventory management of the sub-category- timely book ordering, determining the right stock and pushing it to all channels at the right levels, at the right cost to ensure no stock-outs throughout
- Actively involved in maintaining high quality merchandising standards of Education & Professional Books across all channels to enhance consumer experience and grow sales.
- Proactively communicating new editions, price changes and offering alternatives for out-of-print titles
- Lead the development and successful implementation of sub-category book promotion/ events calendar in consultation with HOD, marketing and sales channel teams.
- Collect market intelligence and insights from various stakeholders in the Education sector.
- Actively profile
- In consultation with HOD, develop and implement the commercial calendar for the Education & Professional Books sub-category in order to maximize each commercial opportunity to grow sales and enhance visibility of TBC.
- Actively engage with various industry stakeholders and keep abreast of developments not just within our sales channels, but the greater reading and publishing sector, locally and internationally
- Continuous research to keep abreast with developments in the local and international education systems, trend analysis and competitor analysis to support evolution and elevation of the sub-category’s assortment.
- Brief marketing team and actively collaborate on sub-category messaging.
- Regular branch visits to conduct in-store merchandising checks, track stock levels, collect feedback, interact with customers and assess product knowledge and other training needs.
- Design and deliver impactful product knowledge trainings for sales teams across all channels.
- Lead the successful planning and implementation of key sub-category projects such as Back to school (BTS)
- Identify, engage and manage relationships with various partners with a view to widening partner and audience networks, strengthening media links especially media opportunities that propel specific initiatives such as TBC Kids or Book of the Month
- Strategic vendor relationship management to foster trust and valuable partnerships that feed into overall category objectives.
- Actively track weekly/ monthly/ quarterly reports to review sub-category performance to scale up the successes and recommend / or take appropriate remedial actions where gaps exist.
- In consultation with HOD, input the development and review of business processes to ensure consistent delivery.
- Submit detailed bi-weekly report to HOD
- Bachelor’s degree in Education (preferably English /Literature), Sales and Marketing, Relevant Business-related degree or its equivalent
- Minimum 5 years’ experience in book retail
- Thorough knowledge of the local and global General books landscape
- Commercial acumen and good analytical skills
- Passionate book lover with excellent verbal and written communication skills; able to negotiate, make presentations, develop and process contracts.
- Able to multitask, prioritize, and manage time efficiently.
- Accurate and precise attention to detail
- Able to lead a motivated team and make decisions in a fast-paced environment
Method of ApplicationPlease submit a letter of interest with your resume clearly indicating “Education & Professional Books Team Lead” as email subject to below email address at
This is a full-time, salaried position. Compensation will be based on qualifications and experience and will include a comprehensive benefits package.
Closing Date : 11th April, 2021