Field Assistant Job At Icipe, Kenya
(Ref. No. NRS/160/052016)
IPM Field Assistant Job
icipe — African Insect Science for Food and Health is a world-class research centre with a mission to alleviate poverty by ensuring food security, improving health, protecting the environment and building the
capacity of researchers and communities across the developing world through the application of insect sciences.
icipe wishes to recruit one person to fill the position of IPM Field Assistant to work in Kenya, in the Plant Health Theme.
The position is tenable in Kenya, and will be stationed in the project implementation site. It is available to commence immediately. This is a two-year contract, with a possibility of extension after successfully
completing a six-month probation period of the first contract. A competitive compensation package will be offered to the right candidate. Only shortlisted candidates will be acknowledged.
Overall purpose of the job
- To provide support in data collection, support graduate students and national partners, and train farmers in Kenya.
Field Assistant Job Responsibilities
The successful candidates will:
- Assist in setting up IPM (integrated pest management) field trials pertaining to maize;
- Assist in maize insect pests and diseases scouting;
- Assist in data collection of maize insect pests, diseases and weeds;
- Assist in IPM information collection and dissemination;
- Assist in establishing maize IPM programmes;
- Assist in training farmers and extension agents on maize IPM;
- Liaise with the district Ministry of Agriculture personnel, agricultural research centres, and other local partners, to facilitate the programme.
- Carry out a range of technical tasks, as well as specialised duties, as assigned by the programme leader.
Knowledge required for performing the job
- Knowledge of field trials and data collection.
- Knowledge of maize insect pests and diseases.
- Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing, in English.
- Skills in training and working with farmers.
Qualifications For Field Assistant Job
- At least certificate in general agriculture or related fields.
- At least five years’ working experience in general agriculture field based positions.
- Proven experience in crop production and protection.
- An understanding of field layout and experimental design.
- This position reports to Dr Tadele Tefera, Project Leader, Rice, Maize and Chickpea IPM.
- The selected candidate should be available to start as soon as possible.