Food for the Hungry Job Vacancy : Cluster Manager, Logistics Manager
Welcome to JobwebKenya.com. This website helps you to achieve your career dream by linking you to vacancies from Top Companies in Kenya. Job Seekers are also exposed to best articles for career growth and development. Click Here to Subscribe for Job Alerts We strongly advise graduates not to pay money before getting a Job. Report fraudulent jobs to [email protected]
DO NOT PAY MONEY BEFORE GETTING A JOB!!. JOBWEB KENYA DOES NOT RECRUIT!! BE WARNED!!
- Company: Food for the Hungry
- Location: Nairobi, Nairobi County, Kenya
- State: Nairobi
- Job type: Full-Time
- Job category: Logistics/Transportation Jobs in Kenya
Food for the Hungry (FH) is a Christian humanitarian organization ending all forms of human poverty by providing life-changing development programs, disaster relief, and advocacy. Since 1971, FH has been going into the world’s hardest places with an exit strategy: to respond to human suffering and graduate communities from extreme poverty into thriving, self-sustainable places to live. By creating context-specific solutions in education, agriculture, health, livelihood, clean water, and disaster risk reduction, the nonprofit focuses on transformational development, investing in children as the key to lift entire communities out of poverty. With 98% of staff working in their country of origin, FH works side-by-side with local leaders, churches, and families to implement innovative solutions. The organization currently serves more than 12.7 million people in over 20 countries worldwide.
- Job TypeFull Time
- Location Nairobi
- Job Field NGO/Non-Profit
Reports To: Program Director
Contract Period: One year (renewable)
Deadline for applications: 19th October 2018
VALUES, VISION, AND PURPOSE
POSITION IN THE ORGANSIATION.
The Cluster Manager is a member of the Senior Leadership Team and reports to the Program Director. He /She manages a team of between 3-8 employees directly. The Cluster Manager provides leadership to all staff within the cluster comprising of 8-50 employees and supervises all technical aspects within the assigned sector.
PURPOSE OF THE JOB
The Cluster Manager has the responsibility for managing program planning and implementation, management of personnel, M&E and finance management within the cluster ensuring the integration of all sectors and the transformational development of churches, leaders and families. The Cluster Manager is part of a management structure that represents the program to the local government structure and community structures and is expected to ensure that FH Kenya increasingly achieves community transformation through quality assurance in project implementation and applying the organization’s Heartbeat (Values, Vision and Purpose) as well as coordination of efforts at cluster level.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES (Percentages are approximate and other duties may be assigned).
Key Result #1 – Program Planning and Management (40%)
- Take lead in conducting situation need assessments in the program/cluster areas and designs appropriate intervention plans in line with the country strategic plans
- Take lead and support in proposal writing, reporting and fund raising for humanitarian work in program/cluster areas.
- Lead the yearly, quarterly and monthly planning process for all projects in the area/cluster and share the developed plan with the Program Director and Finance Manager
- Lead the implementation process on a daily basis and report any discrepancies observed in the program implementation timely to the Program Director.
- Promote collaborative working relationships between stakeholders and the operational projects and to ensure maximum synergy within the program/cluster area for maximum impact, influence and scale up of the program
- Plan and conduct regular field visits to assess the implementation of activities
Key Result #2 – Documentation, Reporting and M&E (20%)
- In close liaison with the area/cluster teams, ensure that periodic progress reports (quarterly, bi-annual and annual) for different projects in the area/cluster are prepared and submitted within agreed reporting timelines and in accordance with the established donor and organizational formats
- In close collaboration with M&E Manager and other program staff ensure that M&E processes are undertaken and feedback is continuously incorporated into program implementation
- Ensure proper documentation of program activities and best practices
- Conduct monthly program staff meeting for better integration and smooth program implementation within the program/cluster area
Key Result #3 – Financial and Human Resource Management (30%)
- Ensure effective and efficient financial management and accounting for all income and expenditures pertaining to the program/cluster.
- Support the administrative function in safeguarding FH’s property, including land, buildings, vehicles and others to ensure they are well maintained and protected from risk
- Develop financial budgets and budget revisions that are in tandem with program activities and ensure that the monthly budget utilization is as per the cash flow and planned activities
- Ensure /oversee the preparation of annual cash flow projections and manage the quarterly cash requests based on planned and approved activities and within the financial management procedures
- Ensure monthly financial reports are prepared and submitted and follow donor and FH finance guidelines
- Collaboratively work with the finance department to ensure smooth monitoring of project budget.
- Lead and manage staff ensuring clarity over strategy, plans and priorities, providing supervision, guidance and mentoring, encouraging effective teamwork and inclusiveness and building a team spirit through regular meetings and events.
- Provide management support to direct reports in their management of others, and their implementation of objectives, work plans and budgets.
- Lead and contribute to developing and modeling a team culture characterized by a shared vision, commitment and mutual accountability that reflects FH’s Heartbeat
- Dissemination and guiding staff in use of Procurement, Purchasing, IT, Security and other work facilitation manuals/policies/SOPs
Key Result #4 – Representation (10%)
- Represent FH Kenya at the relevant county and national government authorities at program/cluster level, helping to ensure constructive working relationships are maintained to allow expansion, alignment and growth of FH’s transformation development programs within the cluster/program area
- Represent FH to other NGOs, and visitors ensuring coordination and attendance at relevant interagency technical, and security coordination networks as necessary at the cluster/program area level
- Act as the voice of influence (advocacy related to development initiatives) to the different relevant authorities, stakeholders on various issues that are of interest to FH at program/cluster area
QUALIFICATIONS & PERSON SPECIFICATION
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty/function satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, attitude, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- A relationship with Jesus Christ
- Should be a strong team player and have the ability to manage a team and resolve conflicts.
- Knowledge and experience in project management and coordination
- Flexibility to work under pressure and meet strict deadlines
- Possess analytical and problem-solving skills, risk management skills as well as decision- making skills
- Commitment to accountability to beneficiaries and transparency, showing dignity and respect, and demonstrating listening and understanding skills.
- Excellent report writing, interpersonal and communications skills
- Knowledgeable in computer packages e.g., MS-Word, Excel, etc.
- Ability to build and maintain strong relationships with local communities and other stake holders
- Willingness to live and work in a stressful environment with security challenges.
- Highly organized, innovative and visionary leader
- Ability to reside within the cluster and travel to the field at least 25% of their time. Expectation is 25-50% of their time.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- Holder of Bachelors (BA) and/or Master degree in project management or any other relevant field – ideally in Health, Nutrition, Livelihoods, and/or Education.
- Experience working in drought emergency, post emergency situations especially in ASAL areas
- Proven strategic planning and program and project management experience in a humanitarian/development environment
- Proven experience of working with USG / USAID /UN/DFID in Kenya and general donor relationships
- Experience in working closely with other development partners and stakeholders including but not limited to, sector working groups, county government, international and local NGOs
- Extensive knowledge of project design and implementation, and proven budget management experience coupled with experience in implementing and working in accordance with corporate structures, policies and practices.
- A minimum of 5-7 years of management experience in an international NGO,
- Experience in proposal writing and budget development for programs in the assigned expertise area (ability to pursue and win grant opportunities)
- Demonstrated experience with participatory approaches to development, including capacity building of local institutions
- Knowledge and experience working with other cultures and sensitive to the cross-cultural issues
Proficiency in spoken and written English and Kiswahili
- Job TypeFull Time
- Experience5 years
- Location Nairobi
- Job Field Logistics
PURPOSE OF THE JOB
Play a key role in leading and managing FH Kenya logistics system with oversight responsibilities in procurement, fleet management, security, and logistics.
ESSENTIAL TASKS AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Key Result #1 – Policies, Procedures, Systems and Training: (20%)
- In close collaboration with the CD and senior management, develop/revise procurement and logistics policies as the need arises and support the implementation process. Ensure that FH Kenya policies that relate to procurement and logistics are in compliance with the country procurement framework/laws.
- Promote an understanding of logistics and procurement processes within FH Kenya. Identify areas of capacity building among staff and take necessary steps to ensure that staff understand logistics and procurement procedures through the delivery of basic training and orientation.
- Plan and conduct regular field visits; monitor and evaluate the implementation and adherence to logistics and procurement policies; identify areas of risk and make recommendations to existing practices as is suitable.
- Ensure logistics processes and procedures are in compliance with set policies, funding sources, including government procedures and policy requirements.
- Ensure that all aspects of Safety and Security, Vehicle Usage and Procurement Policies are understood and maintained and followed by all staff.
- Key Result #2 – Procurement: (20%)
- In collaboration with the Program Managers, ensure that all donor rules and regulations pertinent to the procurement of services, goods and equipment and the use of such office equipment and vehicles are followed for all donor funded projects.
- In conjunction with the CD and senior management teams, develop a long term sourcing strategy with measurable effectiveness incorporating department strategies and targets. In line with this, ensure that strategic sourcing agreements are arranged at the best possible price and in accordance with advantageous lead-times, terms and conditions.
- Take lead in procurement processes, ensuring that they are conducted above board and in a transparent manner that ensures that all required documentation is collected and procedures followed. Check and review relevant procurement documents such as requisitions, bid analysis, LPOs.
- Ensure that all procurement documents such as purchase requests, purchase orders, GIN, GRN are filed and stored and accessible during audits.
- Professionally negotiate agreements/contracts and endeavor to ensure cost reduction in procurement of country program goods and services
- Key Result #3 – Management and Planning (20%)
- Collaborate with the program teams to develop procurement plans and priorities for the different projects and periodically advise and follow up with the program teams to ensure progress on plans. In addition, develop strategies for delivery on the procurement plans agreed beforehand with the program teams.
- Participate in program planning aspects such budgeting and provide technical input as relates to logistics and procurement.
- Lead and manage Logistics/Procurement staff ensuring clarity over strategy, plans and priorities, providing supervision, guidance and encouraging effective teamwork through regular meetings and constant feedback.
- Consolidate monthly logistics reports and prepare monthly security reports to be sent to Country Director.
- Key Result #4 – Security: (20%)
- In close collaboration with the CD, ensure the development/review of the country security plans and standard operating procedures. In line with this, ensure that all field offices have contextualized security protocols and that they are updated annually.
- Conduct periodic training for all staff to ensure that they understand the country/project site security plans, tools and SoPs. This includes briefing all visitors heading to the field.
- Ensure that identified security focal points have undergone relevant trainings and are able to use all security and health related equipment.
- Proactively monitor the security situation in the project areas and respond in accordance to established protocols.
- Attend relevant coordination meetings at different levels national/country/district and develop good relationships with police and other security personnel in areas of operation. This will include UN security focal points, NGO cluster groups, other NGO security focal points.
- Ensure that radio system and FH Satellite phones, car radios and other security equipment are functioning well and that they are used in the proper way.
- Provide timely verbal and written security incident reports whenever they occur to the Country Director and SLT.
- Key Result #5 – Inventories and Asset Management: (10%)
- In close collaboration with finance teams, develop and maintain an inventory database (assets and stocks) and prepare analytical reports as needed.
- Develop a disposal plan for organizational assets as per the disposal policy.
- Institute and oversee the physical count of assets and inventory on a periodic basis, ensuring that assets and inventory are indicated in an electronic database
- Ensure proper acceptable standard warehousing/storage techniques are used in handling organizational commodities.
- Key Result #6 – Fleet Management: (10%)
- Ensure the proper utilization, maintenance and follow up of the FH fleet as well as control and management of the cost of the fleet (fuel, maintenance and repairs). Ensure that a regular maintenance plan is set up for all vehicles.
- Manage safe and affordable staff transportation (ground and air) and manage all related contracts and external associated relationships.
- Ensure the development/revision and or the implementation and adherence to vehicle policy in the organization
- Ensure that all FH vehicles have valid insurance coverage and where required, insurance claims are made in good time to cover any damage and or loss incurred.
- Ensure the proper and appropriate documentation of vehicles such as repairs and servicing, insurances, log books, etc.
- Commitment to serving the poor and in full agreement with FH’s Christian foundation and beliefs as expressed in our Vision, Purpose and Values
- Leadership and project management skills with ability to plan, lead and follow through on complex projects and activities
- Flexible, dependable, organized, resilient, self-motivated, servant leader, effective within various levels of society, good team player, and compassionate with humanitarian attitude
- Strong organizational and administrative ability
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office products, such as Word and Excel
- Ability to travel up to 50% a year
- Able to multi-task and resolve conflicts as well as possess good judgment in making decisions under difficult situations.
- Ability to develop and maintain good working relationships across the organization
- Ability to work well under pressure and in response to changing needs.
- Organized and able to keep clear and concise records
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- A university degree in related field
- Minimum of 5 years’ experience in logistics management and co-ordination (strategy development, purchasing and supply, warehousing, team support, vehicle fleet management, security awareness and communications) preferably within an NGO environment
- Proven experience in humanitarian or development work
- Experience in people management with skills/knowledge on coaching and mentoring
- Proven experience in managing logistics systems and infrastructure
Proficiency in spoken and written English and Kiswahili
POSITION IN THE ORGANIZATION
- The Logistics Manager reports to the Country Director.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should send their applications (clearly indicating their current or expected salary), updated CV with three referees, day telephone contacts to: Human Resource Manager Email address:
hr-[email protected] latest by 19th October 2018
NB: FOOD FOR THE HUNGRY (FH KENYA) DOES NOT SOLICIT ANY TYPE OF PAYMENT FOR JOB APPLICATIONS OR HIRING PROCESSES.
ONLY SHORTLISTED CANDIDATES WILL BE CONTACTED