Foreign and Commonwealth Office Job Vacancy : UN Engagement Coordinator
Welcome to JobwebKenya.com. This website helps you to achieve your career dream by linking you to vacancies from Top Companies in Kenya. Job Seekers are also exposed to best articles for career growth and development. Click Here to Subscribe for Job Alerts We strongly advise graduates not to pay money before getting a Job. Report fraudulent jobs to [email protected]
- Company: Foreign and Commonwealth Office
- Location: Nairobi, Nairobi County, Kenya
- State: Nairobi
- Job type: Full-Time
- Job category: NGO Jobs in Kenya
Main purpose of job:
The UK’s Permanent Mission to the United Nations in Nairobi is responsible for advancing UK interests at the two UN bodies headquartered in Nairobi, UN Environment Programme (UNEP) and UN Human’s Settlement Programme (UN Habitat).
The primary focus of this role is maintaining our strong relationship with the United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP). The jobholder will also keep abreast of developments at the UN Habitat and will be the initial point of contact between the High Commission and the UN Office in Nairobi, including coordinating messaging and reporting on 5th committee issues and UN reform.
Roles and responsibilities / what will the jobholder be expected to achieve?:
You will engage on a range of multilateral issues. You will develop your negotiating, influencing and stakeholder management skills with UN agencies, Member States, Whitehall and Mission colleagues.
You will help deliver HMG policies through the international system, and will need good political antennae to spot risks and opportunities. Working in the multilateral system as the UK exits the EU will provide a unique opportunity for the jobholder to ensure that the UK retains a high profile in UN Nairobi.
UNEP is the leading global environmental authority that sets the global environmental agenda, promotes the coherent implementation of the environmental dimension of sustainable development within the United Nations system and serves as an authoritative advocate for the global environment. There are significant policy interests for the UK led internationally by UNEP
The job holder will
- Follow developments at UNEP and UN Habitat closely ensuring the Perm Rep, Deputy Perm Rep and teams in DEFRA, DfID and FCO in London are briefed on key issues, risks and opportunities.
- Maintain strong networks across UNEP, HABITAT, UNON and Member States by spending time at the UNON compound
- When required represent the UK at meetings at UNEP, HABITAT and with other Member States, delivering UK messages as appropriate and completing accurate and action-focussed reports following the meetings.
- Provide logistical support for visits to UNON by UK ministers and officials. Lead on admin arrangements for UK participation at the fourth UN Environment Assembly in March 2019
- Arrange passes for High Commission staff needing to visit UNON
The jobholder will be part of the Prosperity and UN Team based in the main High Commission building. In addition to UN tasks the jobholder will also
- Work closely with the team leader on Illegal Wildlife Trade issues.
- Assist to deliver networking events
- Manage the team’s travel and entertainment budget
All High Commission staff are encouraged to participate in the wider, corporate life of the Mission as well as play a role in crisis management activities on an ad hoc basis. The present jobholder is on the charity committee and the group working to eliminate single use plastics from the office.
Essential on arrival:
- A minimum of four (4) years of relevant progressive experience in office management and working in a multi-cultural environment is required.
- At least 4 years’ experience in administration and report writing.
- Strong interpersonal, communication, organisational and networking skills.
- Ability to prioritise and execute tasks to a high standard.
- Attention to detail and good follow-up discipline.
- Demonstrate initiative to deliver results and meet tight deadlines and targets.
- Excellent skills in written and spoken English are also required, as the job will on occasion include speaking on behalf of the UK in international meetings in Nairobi.
- Ability to work flexibly and under minimum supervision.
- The applicant should be educated to degree level in a relevant discipline i.e International relations/ political science, environmental science
- Experience in working within the UN system would be an asset.
- Knowledge of and interest in international environmental issues.