Global Head of Supply Chain at Sokowatch
- Company: Sokowatch
- Location: Kenya
- State: Nairobi
- Job type: Full-Time
- Job category: Logistics/Transportation Jobs in Kenya
Sokowatch is transforming communities across Africa by revolutionizing access to essential goods and services. By connecting small merchants to the digital economy, we fix inefficient supply chains and provide services previously unavailable to informal businesses. Sokowatch aims to provide everything a retailer needs, no wholesalers or banks necessary.
Thousands of retailers across Kenya, Tanzania, Rwanda, and Uganda use Sokowatch’s mobile ordering and delivery platform to receive the goods they need as quickly and cheaply as possible while also accessing growth financing for the first time. We’re looking to grow our team with highly talented and motivated employees who are excited to work in a fast-paced and dynamic startup environment.
Role: Global Head of Supply Chain, reporting to the CEO
We’re looking for an exceptional leader who is excited to manage and optimize our supply chain functions from source to customer. You will manage a team across Africa with the goal of supplying billions of dollars of goods to over one million merchants across dozens of countries by 2024. You have the expertise and to build a seamless supply chain team to reach this level of scale while maintaining world-class operating efficiency. You are a proven leader who can create and implement processes from scratch while constantly thinking creatively to tackle new challenges. You are someone who can combine world-class operating processes and cutting edge technology to create one of the most efficient supply chains in the world. We are seeking someone who is passionate about unlocking the potential of the informal economy and inspired by our mission to empower the local merchants responsible for over $600 billion of sales across Africa every year.
Can be based in any of our current and upcoming key markets below with travel expected at least 50% of the time:
- Kenya (Nairobi, Mombasa, Nakuru, Eldoret)
- Tanzania (Dar es Salaam, Arusha, Mwanza)
- Rwanda (Kigali)
- Uganda (Kampala)
- Côte d’Ivoire (Abidjan)
- Senegal (Dakar)
- Ghana (Accra)
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Plan and develop a seamless supply chain process from source to end customer that maximizes productivity and customer satisfaction while minimizing costs
- Manage existing team of over 50 warehouses and fleet personnel alongside 150+ delivery drives while doubling the size of each team every year over the next five years
- Initiate and develop cross-border logistics policies and procedures that are adaptive to changing business needs and technology.
- Develop and implement all warehousing design and inventory management procedures
- Recommend best practices based on past experience, research, frameworks, design patterns, and visionary thinking.
- Recruit, develop, and motivate your team to achieve its full potential and achieve its OKRs and KPIs
- Prepare and manage budgets for the Supply Chain Management team
- Oversee inventory management and demand planning to ensure sufficient stocks are maintained to maximize return on working capital
- Provide process plans to maximize team efficiency and productivity
- Coordinate with Finance to manage stock control and reconciliation
- Identify, measure and execute on departmental KPIs through constant monitoring of team performance.
- Use stakeholder feedback to inform necessary improvements and recommend adjustments to technology
- As a member of our executive team, you will help define and implement overall company strategy.
The successful candidate will possess:
- 8+ years of relevant leadership experience overseeing supply chain for a company with over $200M+ turnover per year within Africa.
- Experience within high-growth organizations strongly preferred.
- Bachelor’s degree with Master’s degree specialization in Supply Chain Management or similar field
- Experience in cross border logistics
- Experience in materials control and inventory management
- Experience in fleet management and delivery optimization
- Ability to lead and manage both in-person and remote teams across multiple countries
- Strong problem-solving skills and the ability to think outside the box
- Excellent organizational and planning skills
- Ability to make quick and sound data-driven decisions
- Excellent communication skills
- French and Swahili language abilities a plus