Governance, Policy And Regulations Expert at Ministry of Environment and Forestry
- Company: Ministry of Environment and Forestry
- Location: Kenya
- State: Nairobi
- Job type: Full-Time
- Job category: Legal Jobs in Kenya
The Ministry of Environment and Forestry was created vide Executive Order No. 1 of 2018 on the organization of government of Kenya. It is mandated to undertake National Environment Policy and Management, Forestry development policy and management, Development of re-afforestation and agro-forestry, Restoration of strategic water towers, Protection and conservation of Natural environment, Pollution control, Lake Victoria management programme, Restoration of Lake Naivasha basin, Kenya Meteorological department, Kenya meteorological training, Conservation and protection of wetlands and Climate change affairs.
ADVERTISEMENT OF POSITIONS IN THE GLOBAL OPPORTUNITY FOR LONG TERM DEVELOPMENT (GOLD) IN THE ARTISANAL SMALL SCALE GOLD MINING (ASGM) PROJECT
Under the overall supervision and guidance of the Project Manager, and in close liaison with the UNDP Country Office and Regional Technical Advisor for Chemicals and Waste, the Governance, Policy and Regulations Expert will have the overall responsibility for the provision of strategic and operational leadership of an advocacy strategy to deliver impact in relation to the ASGM Sector.
Terms of Engagement: The position shall be on an initial twelve (12) months contract with possibility for extension.
Reporting to the Project Manager, The Governance, Policy and Regulations Expert will;
- Provide strategic and operational leadership on development and implementation of an advocacy strategy to deliver impact in relation to the ASGM;
- Lead the process of designing a clear advocacy programme for ASGM;
- Analyse sector policies in order to generate evidence on their impact on the rights of those who are marginalised and excluded in ASGM sector;
- Identify priorities for policy actions and regulatory frameworks to be implemented in the 6 project sites in order to identify gaps that would
- advance formalization of ASGM sector and phase out the use of mercury in ASGM gold processing;
- Spearhead policy monitoring and analysis for the overlaps, gaps, un-clarities and needs for gender mainstreaming prepared and agreed upon in focus groups;
- Support initiatives of local actors to influence and contribute to policy and strategy development on ASGM sector that promote the phase out of mercury use on gold processing;
- Conduct assessment of the capacities of stakeholders involved in the management of ASGM sector; and
- Work with and support other ASGM sector stakeholders through training to identify sector capacity needs required to advance the formalization of ASGM and promote non mercury alternatives in gold processing.
Requirements for the Position
- University degree in Law, Social Sciences, Public Policy, Political Science, International Development or related subjects; and
- Master’s degree in any of the above areas;
In addition the applicant should have:-
- At least ten years of experience in Policy Research, Analysis and production of high level research reports;
- Two (years) of which must have been in environment programmes/projects or activities related to hazardous waste; and
- Demonstrated experience of having worked in a policy and political environment with sound judgment, sensitivity and in-depth understanding of the functioning and relationships of key players.
The applicant must demonstrate the following:-
- Good verbal and written Communication Skills in English and Kiswahili;
- Good interpersonal skills;
- Good understanding of the Policy Formulation and Implementation cycle;
- Experience in Policy Research, Production of high level research reports and making public presentations; and
- Sound Knowledge of chemicals management, mercury use in gold mining.
- Experience/knowledge in environmental projects related to hazardous waste or closely related area;
- Experience/ knowledge in reducing mercury in ASGM sector; and
- PHD in Law, Social Sciences, Public Policy, Political Science, International Development or related subjects.
Method of ApplicationDownload the specific job requirements for the positions from the Ministry of Environment and Forestry Website page www.environmment.go.ke, read this carefully as it lists the skills, knowledge and qualifications required.Fill in each section of the Bio - Data Form clearly in typed, block letters.
- The Bio-Data Form must be accompanied with an Application Letter, detailed Curriculum Vitae, Certified Copies of Academic Certificates, National Identify Card, and Testimonials.
- All applications should be addressed to,
The Cabinet Secretary,
Ministry of Environment and Forestry,
P.O. Box 30126,
- In Submitting the applications, Applicants can;
- Email their applications, in Ms Word or PDF; to
with the position Title as the subject; or
- Drop a hard copy; in sealed envelope at the
Ministry’s (Main) Registry
on 13th Floor,
- Post a hard copy;
- With the position title clearly indicated at the left hand corner of the envelope.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Any form of canvassing will lead to Automatic Disqualification.
Closing Date : 8th July, 2021