Individual Conractor – Sustainable Mobility Unit at United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP)
- Company: United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP)
- Location: Kenya
- State: Nairobi
- Job type: Full-Time
- Job category: NGO Jobs in Kenya
The United Nations Environment Programme (UN Environment) is the leading global environmental authority that sets the world’s environmental agenda, promotes the coherent implementation of the environmental dimension of sustainable development within the United Nations system and serves as an authoritative advocate for the environment.
Result of Service
Under the general supervision of the Mr. Rob De Jong, the Head of the Sustainable Mobility Unit and day to day supervision of the Unit’s administrative staff, the individual contractor will support the Unit in the accomplishment of its programme of work via successful processing of procurement and other administrative requests of the unit.
The contract will be for 6 months.
Duties and Responsibilities
The United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP) is the leading global environmental authority that sets the global environmental agenda, promotes the coherent implementation of the environmental dimension of sustainable development within the United Nations system and serves as an authoritative advocate for the global environment. Its mandate is to coordinate the development of environmental policy consensus by keeping the global environment under review and bringing emerging issues to the attention of governments and the international community for action.
The overall objective of the Economy Division of UN Environment is to encourage decision makers in government, local authorities and industry to develop and adopt policies, strategies, practices and technologies that promote sustainable patterns of consumption and production, make efficient use of natural resources, ensure safe management of chemicals and contribute to making trade and environment policies mutually supportive. It promotes the development, use and transfer of policies, technologies, economic instruments, managerial practices and other tools that assist in environmentally sound decision making and the building of corresponding activities.
The UN Environment’s Sustainable Mobility Unit (https://www.unenvironment.org/explore-topics/transport) requires additional personnel to assist the administrative staff with procurement and other administrative related tasks for newly established global projects.
- The individual contractor will work under the overall supervision of the Head of the Unit (Mr. Rob de Jong). The individual contractor is expected to work closely with the administrative team on the full range of administrative tasks: 1.Perform general administrative tasks (e.g. leave and attendance recording, arrangements for meetings and other events, reservations, etc.), to include preparing and/or processing administrative requests/documents (e.g. requisitions, purchase orders, travel requests, contracts, expenditure authorizations, visa applications, etc.).
- Monitor processes and schedules related the unit’s outputs, products, tasks, etc.; where applicable, assists in the verification of receipt and accuracy of requisite documents, approvals, signatures, etc. to ensure compliance with relevant legal, financial and other requirements.
- Provide general office assistance; responds to information requests and inquiries, reviews incoming correspondence; assists in coordination of correspondence by drafting letters; follow up with clients to ensure that action is undertaken within the target timelines; sets up and maintains files/records.
- Assist with travel, procurement and human resources related tasks like conducting follow up with UNON conference services on meeting rooms availability, printing materials and publications for various meetings; make travel arrangements for meeting participants through Umoja and assist in travel claims for participants, as well as other logistical arrangements.
- Proofread documents and edit texts for accuracy, grammar, punctuation and style, and for adherence to established standards for format.
- Provides secretarial, administrative and logistics support to meetings, boards, committees, conferences, etc.
- Perform data entry and extraction functions.
- Maintains files (both paper and electronic) and databases for work unit.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Academic Qualifications: A bachelor’s degree in procurement is required.
- Experience: Two years work experience in general office support or related area is required. Experience in procurement is an added advantage. Experience working on administration in an international organization is desirable.
- Language: Excellent written and oral communication in English is required.
Method of ApplicationSubmit your CV and Application on Company Website : Click Here
Closing Date : 13th November, 2020