International Civil Aviation Organization Job Vacancy : Administrative Officer
Welcome to JobwebKenya.com. This website helps you to achieve your career dream by linking you to vacancies from Top Companies in Kenya. Job Seekers are also exposed to best articles for career growth and development. Click Here to Subscribe for Job Alerts We strongly advise graduates not to pay money before getting a Job. Report fraudulent jobs to [email protected]
- Company: International Civil Aviation Organization
- Location: Nairobi, Nairobi County, Kenya
- State: Nairobi
- Job type: Full-Time
- Job category: Administrative/Secretarial Jobs in Kenya
The Regional Office is primarily responsible for maintaining continuous liaison with the States to which it is accredited and with other appropriate organizations, regional civil aviation bodies and sub-regional bodies and UN agencies and programmes. The Regional office ensures interregional coordination and promotes the timely and harmonized implementation of ICAO policies, decisions, Standards and Recommended Practices (SARPs) and air navigation plans. The Regional Office also provides technical guidance and assists States in their implementation activities.
Within this context, the Administrative Officer oversees activities related to personnel, administration, finance, conference services, procurement, ICT, building and equipment management and maintenance, registry and mailing, protocol and formalities as well as other general services.
The Administrative Officer reports directly to the Regional Director and/or Deputy Regional Director with whom s/he consults on complex administrative issues. The incumbent directly supervises all General Service staff assigned administrative duties. The supervisory responsibility includes administrative supervision, coaching and training if necessary, as well as performance evaluation, delegation and distribution of tasks and decision on priorities.
MAJOR DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Function 1 (incl. Expected results)
Coordinates and supervises administrative services in the Regional Office, achieving results such as:
- Apply and implement procedures, standards and tools, in accordance with ICAO policy decisions and practices.
- Organise and manage assigned resources to provide timely and effective and service delivery.
- Oversee the HR management, general services, FIN, and Procurement processes as well as ICT functionalities for the Regional Office.
- Manage all administrative and physical arrangements for office events (i.e., meetings, conferences, seminars and workshops, etc.) including preparation of budget estimates/control, travel and accommodation, supplies, installation, maintenance of conference equipment and facilities.
- Coordinate and work closely with the Regional Office team and relevant HQ units on administrative matters.
- Prepare reports and correspondence, and maintain records related to administrative matters.
Function 2 (incl. Expected results)
Coordinates human resources management processes, achieving results such as:
- Promote Regional Office compliance with ICAO human resources policies and provide interpretation of rules and guidelines, as needed.
- In coordination with the Deputy RD, prepare yearly training plan for all office staff.
- Compile, review documents related to personnel actions and submit to HQ.
- Monitor recruitment activities established in accordance with the ICAO HR Action Plan for the Regional Office. Prepare contracts for staff recruited up to G-4 level.
- Provide advice, guidance and prompt assistance to internationally recruited staff and their families, project staff, experts and consultants on matters of protocol, privileges and immunities, including applicable administrative procedures and regulations to be followed.
- Implement and keep current the HR Action Planning tool.
- Coordinate with ICAO HQ with respect to the review and revision of job descriptions when necessary.
- Prepare necessary documents and forms related to classification and recruitment.
- Participate in the preparation of the short list of candidates for professional positions, coordinate with HR the scheduling of interviews. Prepare interview questionnaires in coordination with panel members.
- On behalf of the Regional Director, participate as an observer during interviews for candidates for professional positions in order to prepare assessment reports and obtain concurrence from the panel members. Submit interview review to ANB for review/comments.
- Act as focal point on human resources-related matters and maintain liaison with ICAO HQ.
- Act as Secretary of the Appointment and Promotion Board for GS posts in the Regional Office.
- Act as member of the Local Salary Survey Committee (LSSC).
- Provide sound advice to staff with respect to conditions of service, duties and responsibilities and privileges and entitlements under the Staff Rules and Regulations, ensuring their appropriate implementation.
- Liaise with ICAO HQ to facilitate timely and effective arrangements for staff assignment and repatriation (travel, accommodation, import of household effects) and visit of officials.
- Advise and assist staff in respect of performance management and staff development-related matters.
Function 3 (incl. Expected results)
Coordinates effective and accurate financial resources management, achieving results such as:
- Participate in the preparation of the annual and triennial budget proposal for the Regional Office.
- Review all proposed payments entered in the ERP financial system to ensure that they are supported by duly authorized vouchers and that they are in accordance with ICAO rules and regulations and IPSAS.
- Act as second signatory for voucher and Treasury transaction approvals, bank reconciliation. Approval of pending disbursements as the “third authority” (cheques, bank transfers EFT). Approval of bank reconciliations.
- Organize cost-recovery mechanisms for Regional Office services provided to projects and other Agencies, including ensuring preparation of pro-forma invoices.
- Provide orientation and support to TC and Regional Body Officers on financial and accounting matters.
- Along with the Regional Director, approve and authorize all operational transactions through the interpretation and determination of applicable policies, procedures, rules and regulations.
- Organize and oversee Regional Office cash and asset management processes, including liquidity management, recommendation of imprest level, risk assessment, bank relationship management.
- Ensure timely accounting and reconciliation of all transactions (including capital assets), security of assets on site, purchase and disposal of assets.
- Monitor and control budgetary allocations, identifying deviations from plans, proposing corrective measures and adjustments, as necessary.
- Follow up on Action Plan to implement recommendations arising from Audits conducted in the Regional Office.
- Prepare financial statements, management reports and monthly cash reports.
- Supervise the maintenance of computerized accounting records and ensure financial controls.
Function 4 (incl. Expected results)
Manages procurement requirements and general services for the Regional Office, achieving results such as:
- Plan and manage all contractual and procurement matters for the Regional Office by establishing and maintaining a programme and schedule for ongoing contracts.
- Undertake research to keep abreast of market developments of the goods and services to be contracted as well as new supply sources and evaluate and recommend potential suppliers for registration in ICAO database.
- Review procurement requests and prepare or oversee preparation of terms of reference/technical specifications for tendering to ICAO HQ/PRO, evaluate quotations and select or recommend the selection of the most suitable suppliers.
- Analyse and evaluate vendors’ proposals considering various factors affecting cost, management and maintenance of goods or equipment, including training of users and maintenance staff and other contractual arrangements.
- Initiate, implement and control procurement of Regional Office requirements as needed through competitive bidding procedures, directly or through ICAO HQ/PRO depending on the limits established by ICAO procurement code.
- Maintain inventories of furniture and accountable equipment and prepare annual procurement programme.
- Oversee the adherence to contractual agreements for equipment and services.
- Oversee procurement processes and logistical services in accordance with ICAO rules and regulations.
- Maintain proper management of ICAO assets and inventory lists, facilities and logistical services.
- Oversee use of diplomatic pouch, insurances, etc.
- Ensure the application of exemption of import duties and recovery of local taxes on purchases, where applicable.
- Arrange for the disposal of redundant or unserviceable items, within the limits established by ICAO rules and regulations.
Function 5 (incl. Expected results)
Facilitates and coordinates the effective provision and availability of office automation and ICT functionalities, achieving results such as:
- Facilitate the availability of automation tools and new technologies relevant to the work of the Administration Unit.
- Ensure necessary resources are in place for the effective functioning of ICT systems and the provision of appropriate service desk support.
- Follow up on the provision of timely service desk support in relation to information systems queries and requests.
- Facilitate training sessions for any new processes (e.g. self-service tools, information platforms, etc.) to be introduced.
- Keep track of and report on progress of ICT-related issues, flag delays and suggest appropriate solutions, where possible.
Function 6 (incl. Expected results)
Supervises the administrative staff of the Regional Office, achieving results such as:
- Plan, organize and supervise the work of the administrative staff in terms of delegation of assignments, performance appraisal, facilitation of administrative processes and procedures related to HR, FIN, travel, procurement and ICT in the Regional Office, in accordance with defined procedures and policy decisions.
- Train, coach and support staff in all areas related to administrative work, to ensure proper functioning of the office.
- Monitor and report on annual performance administrative staff, ensuring appropriation distribution of workload and adjusting priorities, as required, in order to meet operational needs.
Function 7 (incl. Expected results)
Acts as Focal Point for the Regional Office on Host Country Relations issues, achieving results such as:
- Act as focal point for UN Common System issues and, when delegated, represent ICAO at UN inter-agency meetings related to administrative matters.
- Arrange with government authorities all operational facilities and basic cooperation agreements (i.e. customs, visas, protocol, receipt of contributions, security, accommodations, privileges and immunities) and ensure that international staff accommodations are MOSS compliant and compliance with host country agreements is assured.
- Maintain relations with governmental bodies and other UN agencies.
- Arrange the hiring of temporary service meetings staff such as interpreters, translators, etc. for meetings hosted by States, prepare Memorandum of Understanding between ICAO and the Host State and ensure its implementation.
- Oversee general conduct of meetings hosted by States to ensure adherence to policy requirements.
Function 8 (incl. Expected results)
Provides monitoring and oversight of facilities, building and security arrangements for the Regional Office, achieving results such as:
- Manage contractual agreements in respect of maintenance of the premises, including electricity and janitorial services.
- Initiate and supervise building alterations and works required for general upkeep of premises.
- Ensure office facilities are properly maintained and adhere to ICAO HQ instructions regarding the safety and security of premises.
- Carry out safety and security measures as advised by the UN Department of Safety and Security (UNDSS).
- Monitor lists of personnel and their recognized dependents and ensure they are kept current.
- Ensure timely reporting to UNDSS of security-related incidents involving UN personnel and their recognized dependents..
- Organise, together with UNDSS, all security training and updates required, according to instructions issued within the Region.
- Serve as security focal point for the Regional Office.
- Serve as focal point for the Regional Office Business Continuity Plan, as instructed.
Function 9 (incl. Expected results)
Performs other related duties, as assigned.
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
A first level university degree in business or public administration, finance, human resources management or a related area.
- Six years or more of progressively responsible experience in administration, finance, procurement, human resources management or related field.
- Experience in financial and accounting standards, such as IPSAS.
- Fluent reading, writing and speaking abilities in English.
- A working knowledge of a second language of the Organization (Arabic, Chinese, French, Russian, or Spanish).
Professionalism: Knowledge of administrative, budgetary, financial and human resources policies and procedures. Ability to apply various ICAO administrative rules and regulations in work situations. Conceptual analytical and evaluative skills to conduct independent research and analysis. Ability to identify issues, formulate opinions, make conclusions and recommendations. Shows pride in work and in achievements; demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter; is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results; is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns; shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges; remains calm in stressful situations.
Planning and Organizing: Develops clear goals that are consistent with agreed strategies; identifies priority activities and assignments; adjusts priorities as required; allocates appropriate amount of time and resources for completing work; foresees risks and allows for contingencies when planning; monitors and adjusts plans and actions as necessary; uses time efficiently.
Accountability: Takes ownership of all responsibilities and honours commitments; delivers outputs for which one has responsibility within prescribed time, cost and quality standards; operates in compliance with organizational regulations and rules; supports subordinates, provides oversight and takes responsibility for delegated assignments; takes personal responsibility for his/her own shortcomings and those of the work unit, where applicable.
Client Orientation: Considers all those to whom services are provided to be “clients ” and seeks to see things from clients’ point of view; establishes and maintains productive partnerships with clients by gaining their trust and respect; Identifies clients’ needs and matches them to appropriate solutions; monitors ongoing developments inside and outside the clients’ environment to keep informed and anticipate problems; keeps clients informed of progress or setbacks in projects; meets timeline for delivery of products or services to client.
Managing Performance: Delegates the appropriate responsibility, accountability and decision-making authority; makes sure that roles, responsibilities and reporting lines are clear to each staff member; accurately judges the amount of time and resources needed to accomplish a task and matches task to skills; monitors progress against milestones and deadlines; regularly discusses performance and provides feedback and coaching to staff; encourages risk-taking and supports creativity and initiative; actively supports the development and career aspirations of staff; appraises performance fairly.
Empowering Others: Delegates responsibility, clarifies expectations, and gives staff autonomy in important areas of their work; encourages others to set challenging goals; holds others accountable for achieving results related to their area of responsibility; genuinely values all staff members’ input and expertise; shows appreciation and rewards achievement and effort; involves others when making decisions that affect them.
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT
It should be noted that this post is to be filled on a fixed-term basis for an initial period of three years (first year is probationary for an external candidate).
ICAO staff members are international civil servants subject to the authority of the Secretary General and may be assigned to any activities or offices of the Organization.
ICAO staff members are expected to conduct themselves in a manner befitting their status as international civil servants. In this connection, ICAO has incorporated the 2001 Standards of Conduct for the International Civil Service into the ICAO Personnel Instructions.
ICAO offers an attractive benefit package to its employees in accordance with the policies of the International Civil Service Commission (ICSC).