Investment Officer at World Bank Group
- Company: World Bank Group
- Location: Kenya
- State: Nairobi
- Job type: Full-Time
- Job category: Banking Jobs in Kenya
Do you want to build a career that is full of meaning and impact? The International Finance Corporation (IFC), a member of the World Bank Group, is the largest global development institution focused on the private sector in emerging markets. Working with more than 2,000 businesses worldwide, we use our capital, expertise, and influence to create markets and opportunities where they are needed most. Visit www.ifc.org
IFC is recruiting an Investment Officer (IO) to be based in IFC Nairobi, Kenya Office. The Investment Officer will identify business opportunities in Kenya. He/she will also conduct early screening of prospective investment and advisory projects, and preliminary assessments in close collaboration with IFC industries teams. He/she will be involved in transaction execution as required. He/she will contribute in the formulation of the country strategy, including notably the Systematic Country Diagnostics (SCDs) and the Country Partnership Frameworks (CPFs) in collaboration with WBG teams. He/she would follow-up on various engagements with development partners, business partners to further enhance IFC’s financial and development impact. He/she will contribute to the management of portfolio projects and for the structuring of new projects, especially as it related to their alignment with the strategic objectives of the WBG in Kenya and IFC’s new global corporate strategy (IFC 3.0).
The Investment Officer will report to the IFC Country Manager – Nairobi, Kenya office.
Role & Responsibilities
Specific responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Proactively develop a strong pipeline of good quality investment opportunities through anticipating market trends and employing sector/country knowledge;
- Develop market knowledge to ensure that IFC is working with the development partners and sponsors;
- Take accountability for client selection and conduct the integrity due diligence of potential sponsors. Develop and maintain relationships with potential clients and identify business opportunities, while considering IFC’s strategy, priorities and products;
- Demonstrate or quickly acquire a thorough understanding of the country, provide market intelligence and analysis, and develop strong business networks;
- Build and maintain strong relationships with portfolio clients, global and regional private businesses (in financial and real sectors), multilateral partners, and government officials to further develop investment opportunities in economic sectors with high developmental impact;
- Assist with strategy formulation, and maintain collaborative working relationships across the WBG;
- Assist in monitoring portfolio projects in collaboration with Industries teams;
- Develop a strong understanding, and actively market and utilize IFC’s Advisory Services’ offering (AS);
- Prepare relevant strategy papers, briefs, summaries, working papers, reports and promotional materials for internal and external users, in coordination with the Communications Team;
- Assist the Country Office Management in preparation for conferences, seminars, workshops, corporate events.
- Support office administration as needed;
- Provide in-country support, and subsequent follow-up to IFC visiting missions as needed;
- Perform other such duties as may be required from time to time to meet emerging, ad-hoc corporate requirements, and/or respond to internal or external requests.
- A Masters degree in one or more of the following disciplines: economics/ finance/ business management;
- At least 6 – 8 years of relevant field and investment experience. Relevant private sector experience and good understanding of development challenges in emerging markets; Experience working with both the public and private sectors is a plus.
- In-depth knowledge of Investment and Advisory instruments, experience in work programming, budgeting, task management.
- Work experience in Kenya and/or Africa private sectors a plus;
- Proven track record in nurturing client relationships; business development;
- Strong business development and client relationship skills, track record and ability to focus on clients’ needs effectively, notably in a fragile business environment;
- Sound business judgment in identifying potential business partners;
- Strong financial and credit skills; demonstrated ability to conduct the necessary preliminary financial assessment of investment requests;
- Ability to interact directly and independently with the senior management of potential clients, of financial and technical partners as well as senior government officials;
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English, with ability to communicate effectively with a variety of audiences;
- Strong analytical and presentation skills, working with data, and using standard Microsoft Office programs (Excel, Word, PowerPoint);
- Strong inter-personal skills, and ability to interact effectively with clients and colleagues from various cultural backgrounds;
- Ability to work in teams, deliver high quality work within deadlines, and to meet team objectives;
- Highly motivated, and committed to the highest ethical standards;
- Genuine commitment to sustainable development;
- Willingness to travel extensively and geographic flexibility;
- Ability to handle multiple demands under pressure;
- Ability to work across different units of the WBG.
Method of Application
Closing Date : 19 April, 2020