Junior Legal Officer Volunteers at United Nations
Welcome to JobwebKenya.com. This website helps you to achieve your career dream by linking you to vacancies from Top Companies in Kenya. Job Seekers are also exposed to best articles for career growth and development. Click Here to Subscribe for Job Alerts We strongly advise graduates not to pay money before getting a Job. Report fraudulent jobs to [email protected]
DO NOT PAY MONEY BEFORE GETTING A JOB!!. JOBWEB KENYA DOES NOT RECRUIT!! BE WARNED!!
- Company: United Nations
- Location: Kenya
- State: Nairobi
- Job type: Full-Time
- Job category: Legal Jobs in Kenya
Within the delegated authority and under the supervision of the Legal Officer, National Environmental Law Unit.
- Support the review of legislation (e.g., law and regulations) in India regarding the legal and institutional capacities in relation to new products/alternatives to DDT [Dichlorodiphenyltrichloroethane], currently under development by local manufacturers, through e.g. carrying out research assignments, drafting briefing summaries and preparing legal opinions;
- Provides project management support by assisting in the planning of project activities and in the periodic monitoring of the status of project activities and expenditures;
- Assist in the organization and support of events (meetings, workshops and training, roundtables and expert meetings), that are organized face-to-face or electronically by the Unit or in which the Unit is involved to raise awareness about the impact of chemicals on the environment and human health and the associated international standards on chemicals and waste, and to build capacity on alternatives to DDT, through e.g., liaising with partner entities/organizations and with participants, compiling materials, taking notes and preparing reports;
- Contribute to the development and dissemination of training materials and information, including e-learning training material, on the international environmental law on chemicals and waste, other emerging issues of environmental law, as well as on the promotion of environmental law education, to raise awareness among government officials, the judiciary and enforcement officers, parliamentarians and legal professionals, and other stakeholders (private sector), through e.g. collaborating with other Units and Divisions on designing materials and corresponding with interested participants and participating relevant authorities or other organizations;
- Assist other members of the Unit in complying with UNEP and United Nations general policies and procedures for the carrying out of activities, through e.g., supporting the carrying out of due diligence procedure for selected implementing partners or providing inputs for the regular update of reporting processes, such as the Project Information Management System (PIMS);
- Any other related tasks as may be required or assigned by the supervisor.
- At least two years of work experience relating to environmental law at the national and/or international level with a focus on MEAs relating to chemicals and waste; experience with the transposition of international environmental law standards into the national framework is an asset, as is experience with the regulatory aspects of total product lifecycle;
- Proven ability to carry out research and familiarity with electronic research tools and databases;
- Excellent oral and writing skills; excellent drafting, formulation, and reporting skills;
- Accuracy and professionalism in document production and editing;
- Excellent interpersonal skills, ability to work effectively in a multicultural team of international and national personnel;
- Solid overall computer literacy, including proficiency in various MS Office applications (Excel, Word, etc.) and email/internet; familiarity with database management; and office technology equipment;
- Self-motivated, ability to work with minimum supervision; ability to work with tight deadlines;
- Have affinity with or interest in the advancement of environmental law, volunteerism as a mechanism for durable development, and the UN System.
- English(Mandatory), Level – Fluent
- International law, Policy, regulation, planning and education and capacity building
- Accountability, Adaptability and Flexibility, Commitment and Motivation, Communication, Integrity, Planning and Organizing, Professionalism, Respect for Diversity, Working in Teams
- Master degree or equivalent
- Master’s degree in law
- 24 Months experience
How to Apply
Not yet registered in the UNV Talent Pool?
Please first register your profile at https://vmam.unv.org/candidate/signup. Important: After creating your account, complete all sections of your profile and submit it. Then go to ‘My Page’ at https://vmam.unv.org/candidate/mypage and click on the ‘Special Calls’ hyperlink. Lastly, select the special call to which you would like to apply.
Already registered in the UNV Talent Pool?
Please first update your profile at https://vmam.unv.org/candidate/profile. Then go to ‘My Page’ at https://vmam.unv.org/candidate/mypage and click on the ‘Special Calls’ hyperlink to select the special call to which you would like to apply.