Latest Jobs at University of Maryland (March, 2020 Recommended Jobs)
- Company: University of Maryland
- Location: Kenya
- State: Nairobi
- Job type: Full-Time
- Job category: Education/Teaching Jobs in Kenya
Driven by the pursuit of excellence, the University of Maryland has enjoyed a remarkable rise in accomplishment and reputation over the past two decades. By any measure, Maryland is now one of the nation’s preeminent public research universities and on a path to become one of the world’s best.
1. Laboratory Technologist
Under the general supervision of the facility in-charge, the Site Laboratory Technologist will perform routine clinical laboratory tests per prescribed procedures and acceptable practice pertaining to HIV/AIDS management, and general laboratory procedures.
- Manage laboratory equipment in serviceable condition at all times. Keep proper inventory and ensure good stock management for laboratory reagents.
- Prepare the laboratory equipment and specimen for tests as necessary.
- Ensure quality controls are done for respective procedures, and results properly documented.
- Collect patients specimen for laboratory tests and analysis in the prescribed manner, with proper documentation, and ensuring safe handling and disposal of such specimen.
- Analyze and record test results accurately and timely in order to issue reports for use by the physician/clinician.
- Maintain an accurate database of tests carried out and generate reports on the same.
- Develop, review and regularly update the standard operating procedures manual for administration of laboratory tests
- Support waste management in the facility, through regular check on segregation of wastes generated at various service delivery points.
- Perform any reasonable work related duties as may be assigned from time to time at the facility.
- Provide appropriate education to patients (where necessary) on laboratory investigations.
- Spearheads laboratory quality improvement through Implementation of laboratory quality improvement projects.
- Prepare site monthly Laboratory reports.
- · Diploma in Medical Laboratory Science Technology
- · Higher National Diploma/Bachelors in Medical Laboratory Science Technology an added advantage
- · Registration with Medical Laboratory Technologist and Technicians Board
- · Current Membership/Practicing License from the KMLTTB
At least 3 years’ relevant experience
2. Pharmaceutical Technologist
Reporting to the Facility in-charge, the pharmaceutical technologist will manage the pharmacy, and coordinate all activities of stock and inventory management pertaining to HIV and TB drugs for the site**
Roles and Responsibilities
- Ensure good store keeping for pharmacy drugs, prepare and manage pharmacy inventory
- Dispense ARVs and OI drugs to patients in the ART program
- Participate in counseling of patients taking ARVs in order to promote adherence with prescribed regimen
- Ensure ADT tool is in use and well maintained (in-charge of the pharmacy computer)
- Promote pharmacovigilance activities at the facility, analyze reports as well as forward the reports to PPB/UMB
- Give the ART clinical team updates on the availability of drugs and pharmacovigilance reports and participate in facility CQI and MDT
- Develop, review and regularly update the standard operating procedures manual for administration and distribution of ARVs
- Member of the health facility drugs and therapeutics committee (TDC). Secretary of the Medicine and Therapeutic Committee (MTC) and keeper of the MTC minutes)
- Be part of the clinical eligibility committee to set and periodically evaluate annual department goals
- Prepare site monthly pharmacy reports
- · Diploma in Pharmacy
- · Certified by the Kenya Pharmacy and Poisons Board
- · 1-3 years’ work experience in a busy CCC
3. Data Assistant
Reporting to the Facility in-charge and supervised by the Data Officer and PACT Endeleza Strategic Information Specialist the Data Assistant will be responsible for maintaining patient files and supporting HIV/TB data management
Roles and responsibilities
- Management of the filing system at the facility
- Maintenance of files to ensure they are in good order
- Retrieve and file documents as requested from time to time:
- Enter data into IQCare and run basic reports
- Clinic Preparation
- Safeguard patient level data security – privacy and confidentiality
Compile monthly MoH and PEPFAR/DATIM HIV-related reports
Qualifications and Desired Skills
- · Certificate in Health Records from a credible institution
- · Computer proficiency particularly with the MS-Office suite
- · A good understanding of health data management
- · An individual with high levels of professionalism with an admirable work ethic
4. Human Resource Officer
Key Duties and Responsibilities
- Creating, updating, maintaining safe custody and confidentiality of all program and staff records and files during on boarding and on continuous bases
- Management of timesheets for payroll processing
- Receiving and responding to staff queries on human resource related issues
- Support the managing of contract health workers through IHRIS (Human Resource Information Systems) in the county
- Support performance management process for the contract health workers
- Coordinating staff induction and exit
Requirements for appointment
- · Bachelor’s degree in Human Resource Management or any Social Science
- · Higher Diploma in Human Resource Management
- · Be registered with IHRM
- · 2 years working experience
- · Must have good interpersonal skills
- · Must have excellent report writing skills
- · Computer literate
5. HTS Supervisor
The HTS Supervisor will provide direct supervision to HTS Counselors who provide HIV testing services and linkage of HIV infected clients to care in PACT Endeleza supported facilities. S/he will oversee quality of implementation of HTC services in all health service delivery points
- Enhance the provision of quality HTS services by HTS service counselors in all service delivery points as per Kenya HTS national guidelines leading to HIV testing of 100% of eligible facility attendants.
- Strengthen referral and enrollment of all clients who test HIV positive in HIV care resulting on 95% of clients linked to HIV care
- Coordinate defaulter tracing of pre-enrollment clients not linked to care in supported facilities
- Ensure optimization in testing of elicited contacts in assisted partner notification services
- Coordinate and participate community targeted testing as appropriate
- Coordinate monthly counselor testing observed sessions
- Participate in counselor supervision sessions/meeting to handle counselors’ burn out issues
- Coordinate HTS data collection and reporting from allocated facilities as per PACT Endeleza timelines
- Ensure maintenance of well-documented HTC registers and HTC wall charts in allocated sites
6. HTS Counsellor
Reporting to the facility in-charge, the HTS provider provides HIV Counselling and testing services to all individuals at facility and community level and support successful linkage of HIV-infected individuals in HIV care services
Roles and Responsibilities
- Provide HIV counseling and testing services as per Kenya HTS national guidelines
- Provide assisted partner notification services for all index clients
- Provide health education to clients as a strategy to increase demand for HIV testing services
- Optimize testing for all eligible clients at facility level and ensure testing efficiency
- Provide counseling services addressing HIV prevention including risk reduction interventions and behavior change, use of ART for HIV prevention etc.
- Conduct risk screening for HTS clients and provide prevention services for the HIV negative clients including PrEP and distribute condoms and lubricant at facility and community
- Ensure confirmed linkage (target of 95%) of HIV positive clients.
- Conduct defaulter tracing of pre-enrollment clients not linked to care in supported facilities
- Assess and document all referrals, make follow-up and report on referral outcomes
- Compile and submit monthly HTS reports
- Initiate and conduct posttest clubs and support groups
- Participate in the site HTS QA/QC processes i.e. Proficiency testing, direct observed practice sessions, support supervision.
- Conduct CQI activities to improve gaps identified based on data.
- · Certificate in HTC Counselling (NASCOP Certified)
- · Training in Assisted Partner Notification Services (aPNS)
- · Diploma in Counselling Psychology
- · Two years’ experience in HIV counseling and testing
7. Addiction Counsellor & Mentor – MAT Clinic
The primary function for this position is to provide psychosocial services to patients who suffer from opioid dependence or other drug abuse related behavioral and emotional problems. The position holder will manage the psychosocial aspect of MAT clients and create a treatment plan. The addiction counselor will assist patients with the development of personal recovery programs that focus on healthier behaviors and examine issues related to the addictions and teach relevant coping skills.
ROLES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Meeting with clients to evaluate their health and substance problem.
- Identifying issues arising, create goals and treatment plans and re-evaluate the treatment plans quarterly.
- Teaching clients coping mechanisms using evidence-based interventions for substance use disorders.
- Providing the clinic with clients’ progress on their treatment plans in the multidisciplinary team meetings.
- Liaise with any additional treatment programs in line with the identified issues from the treatment plan and evaluate the effectiveness of the treatment programs.
- Supporting reintegration to family, conducting family psychoeducation and family therapy.
- Leading group therapy and support group sessions.
- Providing supportive skills that help clients find jobs or reestablish their career.
- Undertaking non-compliant tracing within a week of patients no longer coming in for treatment
- Ensuring smooth coordination with the referring Civil Society Organizations and participate in MAT linkage forums.
- Participate in community education and support programs for PWID, as needed
- Participate in the dissemination of nationally developed PWID promotional materials and information.
- Degree in social work or Higher Diploma in addiction counseling.
- Knowledge in HIV care and treatment
- Counselling skills
- Addiction counseling skills and People Who Inject Drugs (PWID) care and management experience is an added advantage.
Knowledge / experience
- 1. Practical Knowledge and experience in HIV management among people who Inject drugs (PWID) and or People who use drugs (PWUD)
- 2. Practical experience in addiction counselling especially among PWUD.
- 3. Comprehensive knowledge of client centered mental health and addiction interventions, practice methods and professional skills.
- Knowledge of community resources, rehabilitation centers and CSOs is an added advantage
8. Clinical Nurse
- Support ANC, PNC and Maternity HIV testing
- Ensure ART uptake among HIV infected pregnant /Lactating women
- Ensure viral suppression among PMTCT women
- Oversee the provision of Early Infant diagnosis, care and follow-up of HIV-exposed infants
- Ensure follow-up and retention of HIV-infected pregnant /lactating women and HIV-exposed infants (HEI) by use of the case management model
- Strengthen linkages between PMTCT and HEI services and Comprehensive Care Clinics
- Strengthen facility-community /community-facility linkages with the help of CHVs and case managers
- Perform TB intensified case finding for PLHIV on every clinical encounter
- Initiate IPT for all PLHIV who don’t have TB or other Isoniazid Contra-Indications
- Initiate ART in all newly diagnosed TB/HIV co-infected patients within 2 weeks of starting TB treatment
- Participate in MNCH Working Improvement Teams(WITS) and initiate CQI projects on gaps identified.
- Participate in MNCH in generation, compilation and utilization of PMTCT data
- Perform any other duty as maybe assigned by the organization
Method of Application
Interested candidates who meet the above-mentioned qualifications, are requested to send their cover letter and resume to [email protected] indicating the position being applied for on the subject line of the email by 26th March 2020. Applicants are advised to include the position title “PACT ENDELEZA POSITIONS” as the subject. Applicants should also indicate their current and expected remuneration for the position.
The University of Maryland is an equal opportunity employer.
Only short listed candidates will be contacted.