Maintenance Technician at High Commission of Canada in Kenya
Welcome to JobwebKenya.com. This website helps you to achieve your career dream by linking you to vacancies from Top Companies in Kenya. Job Seekers are also exposed to best articles for career growth and development. Click Here to Subscribe for Job Alerts We strongly advise graduates not to pay money before getting a Job. Report fraudulent jobs to [email protected]
DO NOT PAY MONEY BEFORE GETTING A JOB!!. JOBWEB KENYA DOES NOT RECRUIT!! BE WARNED!!
- Company: High Commission of Canada in Kenya
- Location: Kenya
- State: Nairobi
- Job type: Full-Time
- Job category: Engineering Jobs in Kenya
Job Title: Maintenance Technician
Salary: KES 485.58 per hour
Vacancy type: Term/Indeterminate/Emergency
This recruitment process may also be used to fill indeterminate, term and emergency vacancies which arise in the 18 months following the end of the process. This position is a LES (Locally Engaged Staff) position, subject to the Terms and Conditions of Employment for LES in Kenya.
Location: Nairobi, Kenya
Closing date for applications: 15-05-2019 At midnight UTC+1 / GMT+1
Summary of position:
Under the direction of the Head of Maintenance, the Maintenance Technician performs general maintenance and repairs at all properties within the High Commission of Canada real estate portfolio. Performs specific work, such as plumbing, welding, masonry, electrical and carpentry tasks. Prepares and effects preventive maintenance program for assigned equipment and systems. Assists other Maintenance Team members in the performance of their duties. Inspects work performed by contractors to ensure compliance with manufacturers specifications and Canadian Safety Regulations. Performs other related duties.
Candidates will initially be screened against the Essential Qualifications relating to education, experience and language. Candidates must clearly demonstrate in their cover letter and CV how they meet each of these essential qualifications.
• Completion of Secondary School
• Technical and / or Mechanical Engineering diploma (3-year diploma) from a recognized institution (e.g. National Polytechnic Diploma in Plumbing, Plant Engineering, Welding and Fabrication)
• Proficiency in English – (reading, writing, comprehension and speaking)
• Recent experience* in plumbing, carpentry or other related fields
* Recent experience means five years of experience within the past seven years.
The Rated Requirements relating to knowledge, abilities and competencies will also be assessed. Methods of assessment may include, but are not limited to, a written examination, an oral interview, role-play, practical tests, references, presentations and/or psychometric assessment.
Candidates who are screened in will be required to complete a written test. Only the candidates retained after the test will be contacted for an interview. The interview will consist of a series of questions and/or exercises in order to evaluate the aptitudes and qualifications of each candidate.
• Knowledge of the Microsoft Office Suite (Outlook, Word, Excel).
• Advanced knowledge* of plumbing, carpentry, or other related field
• Advanced knowledge* of Health and Safety best practices
* “Advanced knowledge” can mean the ability to read and interpret plumbing and carpentry blueprints; cutting , assembling and installing pipes and tubes with attention to existing infrastructure (e.g.: plumbing); installing and maintaining water supply systems; assembling, installation and repair of office furniture.
• Ability to prioritize work and work under pressure
• Effective Interactive Communication – Oral and Written
• Familiar with safe operation of manual and electric power tools
• Ability to problem-solve (determine origin of plumbing / mechanical problems and corrections)
• Ability to detect needs for preventive maintenance
• Ability to monitor and supervise contractors
• Ability to read and comprehend written instructions
• Adaptability and Flexibility
• Client Focus
• Commitment to Public Confidence / Values and Ethics
• Focus on Quality and Details
• Teamwork and Cooperation
* Please note that knowledge, ability/skills and personal suitability may be assessed during the selection process through written tests, interview and/or reference.
Preference may be given to candidates who meet the Asset Qualifications. Where applicable, candidates must clearly demonstrate how they meet any asset qualifications in their cover letter and CV.
• Large Appliance Repair
• Experience installing household appliances, electronics, and furniture and office equipment
Organizational Needs: Operational Requirements
• Possession of a Class BCE Driver’s Licence
• Must be willing and able to work overtime, as operationally required
• Must be willing and able to respond to emergencies after hours and on weekends.
• Must be willing and able to lift and carry tools, building materials, equipment and furniture when required, up to 25 kgs, on a regular basis, without assistance
• Hours of work: 45 hours per week (Monday to Friday)
Condition(s) of Employment:
• The successful candidate will be required to obtain and maintain a Government of Canada Reliability Status (RS), which includes criminal and credit background check, covering the entire employment period.
• Candidates must have a valid work authorization covering the entire employment period. If the employment is indeterminate, the work authorization should be permanent or itself lead to a permanent work authorization.
• Before an offer of employment can be made, candidates must provide a local address as proof of residence in the specific city, region or country so that if selected, it will appear on the offer letter.
Area of selection:
Open to all external applicants who are legally eligible to work and live in Nairobi, Kenya, and to all mission employees occupying an indeterminate or term position, who meet all of the essential requirements stated below, and whose applications are received by the closing date. Applicants should be resident in the vicinity of Nairobi at the time of hiring. Please note that the High Commission of Canada in Kenya does not sponsor work authorizations directly or indirectly and will not relocate successful candidates. The Government of Canada is an equal opportunities employer and welcomes applications from diverse sections of the community. Candidates will be considered on merit regardless of ethnic origin, religious belief, gender, age, sexual orientation, disability or any other irrelevant factor.
• Candidates are also required to upload a cover letter and CV in English or French. Applications which do not include all of the requested documents or information will be rejected.
• Candidates who are unable to submit their application due to technical difficulties must report these to:
[email protected] prior to the closing date. Failure to do so will result in the application being rejected.
• Only applications submitted in one of the official languages of Canada will be accepted (English or French). Candidates are entitled to participate in the recruitment process in the official language of their choice and to indicate their preferred official language in their application.
• Communication for this process will be sent via email. It is the responsibility of the candidates to ensure accurate contact information is provided and updated as required.
• Candidates who apply to this vacancy should include an email address that accepts email from unknown users and regularly check their email, including spam folder.
• Reference checks will be sought for candidates that reach interview stage and may form part of the selection process.
• The High Commission of Canada in Kenya does not reimburse any travel costs to and from interviews/exams nor does it reimburse any relocation costs.
• Candidates requiring any special assistance in attending exams or interviews are requested to inform us.
• The results of this recruitment process may also be used to establish an eligibility list of qualified candidates for similar openings at the High Commission of Canada in Kenya, which might arise in the 18 months following the completion of this recruitment process, with various tenures, including indeterminate or term.
• All qualifications are non-compensatory.
• The High Commission of Canada in Kenya is committed to conducting inclusive, barrier-free selection processes.
• If you have any questions at any stage of the recruitment process, please send an email to: [email protected]
How to Apply
Closing Date: 15-05-2019 At midnight UTC+1 / GMT+1