Medical Doctor at United Nations Office at Nairobi
- Company: United Nations Office at Nairobi
- Location: Kenya
- State: Nairobi
- Job type: Full-Time
- Job category: Healthcare/Medical Jobs in Kenya
The United Nations Office at Nairobi (UNON) is the UN headquarters in Africa and the representative office of the Secretary-General. UNON supports programme implementation of the UN Environment Programme (UNEP) and the UN Human Settlements Programme (UN-HABITAT) globally, as well as other UN offices in Kenya, by providing administrative, conference and information services (www.unon.org). The post is located in UNON Human Resources Management Service, Joint Medical Service. Under the direct supervision of Chief, Joint Medical Service, the incumbent is responsible for:
1. CLINICAL DUTIES: (a) Run the JMS fever clinic established for the purpose of adequate clinical management of clients calling in or presenting in person during the COVID-19 disease outbreak (b) coordinate with relevant ministry of health teams in contact tracking and surveillance for COVID-19 cases c) Perform day-to-day clinical duties, e.g. attending to walk-in clinic, (d) Assist with the coordination of medical evacuations, emergencies etc, (e) Pre-placement and periodic medical examinations, (f) Immunizations, travel advice; (g) Refer staff to and follow up with outside specialists as necessary; (h) Provide health education and medical counseling to clients; (i) organize/participate in addressing work environment and occupational health issues; (j) Emergency response on 24/7 basis, as and when required; be on call during and outside office hours to observe and treat emergencies in the clinic. (k) Undertake house calls and hospital rounds when required.
2. MEDICO-ADMINISTRATIVE DUTIES: (a) Liaise with other dispensaries and host-nation medical facilities; (b) Follow the United Nations established policies and procedures regarding medical clearances, sick leave and medical evacuations; (c) Recommend medical evacuation when required; (d) Responsible for all paper work and reporting procedures for medical evacuations in line with UN Rules and procedures; (e) Ensure proper follow up on all cases; (f) Application of terms of reference in Administration manuals for rules and regulations regarding UN clinic operations; (g) Responsible for the supervision and distribution of work for the nurses and other staff assigned to the fever clinic; (h) Responsible for establishing good relations with reliable hospitals, private medical facilities and blood banks
3. SUPERVISORY ADMINISTRATIVE DUTIES: (a) Ensure that appropriate training programs relating to COVID-19 are implemented in order to maintain and develop the medical capabilities (e.g. health awareness, COVID-19 prevention, isolation and quarantine, hospital transfer). (c) Undertake medical clearance according to UN guidelines and procedures (d) Undertake ‘outpatient’ treatment and immunization requirements (e) Responsible for regular reporting on clinic activities, medical facilities available locally and other statistical information as may be required. (f) Perform other related duties as required.
PROFESSIONALISM: Demonstrated knowledge and hands on experience in clinical medicine; Shows pride in work and in achievements; Demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter; Is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results; Is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns; Shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges; Remains calm in stressful situations.
PLANNING AND ORGANIZING: Develops clear goals that are consistent with agreed strategies; Identifies priority activities and assignments; adjusts priorities as required; allocates appropriate amount of time and resources for completing work; foresees risks and allows for contingencies when planning; monitors and adjusts plans and actions as necessary; uses time efficiently.
JUDGEMENT AND DECISION MAKING: Identifies the key issues in a complex situation, and comes to the heart of the problem quickly; Gathers relevant information before making a decision Considers positive and negative impacts of decisions prior to making them; Takes decisions with an eye to the impact on others and on the Organization; Proposes a course of action or makes a recommendation based on all available information; Checks assumptions against facts; Determines that the actions proposed will satisfy the expressed and underlying needs for the decision; Makes tough decisions when necessary.
An advanced university degree (Master’s degree or equivalent) in medicine (MBChB / MMed/ MPH) or in a related area is required. Must be Registered with Kenya Medical and Dental Practitioners Board. A post-graduate diploma in infectious diseases will be an added advantage. A first-level university degree in combination with two additional years of qualifying experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced degree. Proficient computer skills, particularly in MS Office software and use of databases, are required. Certification in Occupational safety and health is an added advantage.
A minimum of five years of progressively responsible experience in the medical field or related area is required.
At least two years experience working in Accident and Emergency Unit, Intensive Care Unit or Aeronautical medicine is required.
Experience in managing infectious diseases is highly desirable.
Experience in occupational health and safety at the work place setting is highly desirable.
Experience in counseling and/or stress management is an advantage.
Fluency in English AND fluency in Swahili OR Kiswahili is required. Working knowledge of a second UN official language is an asset.
Evaluation of qualified applicants may include an assessment exercise which may be followed by a competency based interview.
• This position is temporarily available for a period of 6 months and is open for nationals of Kenya ONLY. If the selected candidate is a staff member from the United Nations Secretariat, the selection will be administered as a temporary assignment.
• While this temporary assignment may provide the successful applicant with an opportunity to gain new work experience, the selection for this position is for a limited period and has no bearing on the future incumbency of the post.
• Subject to the funding source of the position, the eligibility for this temporary job opening may be limited to candidates based at the duty station.
• This temporary job opening may be limited to “internal candidates,” who have been recruited through a competitive examination administered according to staff rule 4.16 or staff selection process including the review of a central review body established according to staff rule 4.15.
• Staff members of the United Nations common system organizations who will reach the mandatory age of separation or retirement within the duration of the current temporary need period are not eligible to apply.Submitting an application or selection for the current temporary job opening does not delay or increase the mandatory age of separation.
• Internal Applicants – when completing the PHP, ensure ALL fields, ALL professional experience and contact information are completed and up to date. This information is the basis for the hiring manager to assess your eligibility and suitability for the position and to contact you.
• Retirees above the mandatory age of separation who wish to be considered for the current temporary job opening must indicate the reason for their last separation as “retirement.” Such retirees shall not be employed by the Organization, unless (a) the operational requirements of the Organization cannot be met by staff members who are qualified and available to perform the required functions; and (b) the proposed employment would not adversely affect the career development or redeployment opportunities of other staff members and represents both a cost-effective and operationally sound solution to meet the needs of the service.
Method of Application
Closing Date : 26th March, 2020