Migration Specialist at Food and Agriculture Organization
Welcome to JobwebKenya.com. This website helps you to achieve your career dream by linking you to vacancies from Top Companies in Kenya. Job Seekers are also exposed to best articles for career growth and development. Click Here to Subscribe for Job Alerts We strongly advise graduates not to pay money before getting a Job. Report fraudulent jobs to [email protected]
DO NOT PAY MONEY BEFORE GETTING A JOB!!. JOBWEB KENYA DOES NOT RECRUIT!! BE WARNED!!
- Company: Food and Agriculture Organization
- Location: Kenya
- State: Nairobi
- Job type: Full-Time
- Job category: NGO Jobs in Kenya
Through its Country Offices, or FAO Representations, FAO assists governments to develop policies, programmes and projects to address hunger and malnutrition, and provides technical support for the sustainable development of their agricultural, fisheries and forestry sectors. The activities of the FAO Country Offices include design and implementation of country-tailored field programmes, liaison with local donor representatives, and active public awareness raising and outreach activities related to FAO initiatives such as the World Food Day.
The incumbent will be under the overall supervision of the FAO Representative in Kenya, technical supervision of the Assistant FAO Representative (Programmes); and work in close collaboration with the National Project Coordinator, Youth Officers and colleagues in headquarters and in the sub-regional office.
Rural migration in Kenya is influenced by multiple factors including lack of employment, limited access to services and better education opportunities and limited access to social protection – to name some. Many migrants migrate to rural towns or secondary cities as the population grows quickly and the economy of the country develops further. As youth account for 35 percent of Kenya’s population, and with over 1 million entering the labour market annually, agriculture presents a prospect for job creation and holds opportunities for alternative(s) viable livelihoods to rural out migration. The ‘Migration, Social Protection and Youth Employment’ project aims to address the adverse drivers of rural out-migration of youth, by creating additional and improved employment and entrepreneurship opportunities in agri-business along select local value chains and create linkages with the existing social protection programmes with a special focus on Kiambu County, a peri-urban area with a vibrant agriculture sector. The project is grounded on the principle that migration should be a choice not a necessity.
Tasks And Responsibilities
- Provide technical support to national and county-level stakeholders on ways to address the adverse drivers of rural out-migration as well as harness the potential of migration for rural development;
- Facilitate the organization of national and county-level policy consultations to enhance policy and programme coherence and coordination on issues related to migration and rural development;
- Design and coordinate capacity development activities at national/county-level to increase awareness and capacities on migration and rural development;
- Provide technical support to relevant policies, strategies and programmes, and identify entry points to enhance mainstreaming of migration and rural development issues;
- Provide technical support on migration related issues to the project activities including for the integration of migration considerations in the activities with youth beneficiaries;
- Contribute and coordinate technical inputs to studies and reports on migration and support their dissemination and uptake;
- Provide technical support on diaspora related matters relevant to the project activities;
- Liaise with relevant partners and strengthen inter-sectoral collaboration on migration, rural development and agriculture;
- Perform other related duties to lead FAO’s activities on migration in Kenya, by, for instance, representing FAO in the TWGs, National Coordination Mechanism on Migration, and in other institutional coordination mechanisms.(only for COF.REG)
- Support resource mobilization for the implementation and potential scale up of the project;
- Contribute to periodic official reports according to project requirement/deadlines and donor related requests;
CANDIDATES WILL BE ASSESSED AGAINST THE FOLLOWING
- Advanced university degree in Migration, Rural Youth Employment, Economics or related field in development.
- At least five years of relevant experience in the field of migration, youth employment, decent employment and rural development, including experience in project management, capacity development/training, policy support and analysis, and relevant experience at field level.
- Working knowledge of English, French or Spanish and limited knowledge of one of the other two or Arabic, Chinese, Russian (for COF.REG).
- For PSA.SBS, working knowledge of only one UN language is required
FAO Core Competencies
- Results Focus
- Building Effective Relationships
- Knowledge Sharing and Continuous Improvement
- Experience in the fields of agriculture rural development and social protection is considered an asset.
- Professional experience in Kenya is considered an asset.
- Experience in conducting and peer-reviewing research on migration, rural development or similar topics is preferred
- Experience in designing and implementing tailored capacity development activities with government stakeholders is required
- Ability to effectively use standard office software, such as MS Office (Windows, Word, Outlook, Excel, Exchange) etc.
- Systematic, well-structured and efficient approach to work assignments. Analytical ability, accuracy and consistency. Exercise diligence and care in dealing with records and expenditures.
- The incumbent must possess a cooperative spirit, flexibility and openness to work in an international environment. Tact and courtesy.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with people of different national and cultural background. High degree of self-motivation and initiative. Willingness to learn and apply new analytical approaches.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified? Go to Food and Agriculture Organization career website on jobs.fao.org to apply