Norwegian Refugee Council Job Vacancy : Information Counselling & Legal Assistance Project Assistant
Welcome to JobwebKenya.com. This website helps you to achieve your career dream by linking you to vacancies from Top Companies in Kenya. Job Seekers are also exposed to best articles for career growth and development. Click Here to Subscribe for Job Alerts We strongly advise graduates not to pay money before getting a Job. Report fraudulent jobs to [email protected]
- Company: Norwegian Refugee Council
- Location: Kenya
- State: Nairobi
- Job type: Full-Time
- Job category: Legal Jobs in Kenya
The Norwegian Refugee Council (NRC) is a non-governmental, humanitarian organization with 60 years of experience in helping to create a safer and more dignified life for refugees and internally displaced people. NRC advocates for the rights of displaced populations and offers assistance within the shelter, education, emergency food security, legal assistance, and water,sanitation and hygiene sectors.
The Norwegian Refugee Council has approximately 5000 committed and competent employees involved in projects across four continents. In addition, NRC runs one of the world’s largest standby rosters -NORCAP, with 650 professionals, ready to be deployed on 72 hours notice when a crisis occurs
The purpose of the ICLA Project Assistant position is to support the day-to-day implementation of Information, Counselling and Legal Assistance (ICLA) projects in Dadaab camps. The ICLA Project Assistant is responsible for supporting the provision of legal counselling and legal assistance services to refugees and host community. The Assistant will also support provision of information and outreach services and the roll out of identified technical training opportunities in line with ICLA’s thematic focus areas.
• Adhere to NRC policies, tools, handbooks and guidelines.
• As guided by the Project Officer, generally work to support ICLA projects by ensuring that project activities are implemented in accordance with project agreements
• Prepare and develop weekly, monthly and other status reports as required by management
• Ensure proper filing of documents and keeping of records
• Assess, promote and document ideas for technical improvement and further program development options
• Ensure that projects target beneficiaries most in need, and explore and assess new and better ways to assist.
• Promote the rights of refugees/returnees in line with advocacy strategy
• Adherence to NRC Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) and guidelines in relation to provision of information, counseling, legal assistance and referral activities.
• Provision of direct counseling and legal assistance services by ICLA in Dadaab camp complex and coordination with legal aid partners on complementary services.
• Supporting the provision of internal referrals from other ICLA/NRC core competencies for refugees in need of counselling and legal assistance services.
• Preparation of client intake and case management forms for counseling and legal assistance services and ensure confidentiality of client data.
• Regular liaison with legal partners/legal aid providers on case management for ICLA beneficiaries.
• Preparation of referral forms for referrals to external partners and ICLA Somalia.
• Support the conducting of awareness raising, capacity building and training activities for communities, government officials and NGOs on ICLA thematic areas including housing, land and property rights, Legal & Civil Documentation & Employment Laws
• Prepare and compile weekly, monthly and mid and end term reports.
• Supervise relevant NRC community staff supporting project activities.
• Participate in ICLA continuous assessments, mapping and investigation and supervise data collection during ICLA surveys and assessments
• Any other tasks as assigned by line manager.
• University degree in law, political science, social science or other relevant discipline. Diploma with experience will be considered.
• Minimum 3 years humanitarian experience with refugees/internally displaced persons (IDPs) at field level with an NGO or other international organization.
• Good understanding of the Dadaab context.
• Experience in reporting, client management, case studies and research.
• Knowledge on SSPS and other data management systems
• Experience from working as a Project Assistant in a humanitarian/recovery context
• Previous experience from working in complex and volatile contexts
• Documented results related to the position’s responsibilities
• Strong communication, analytical and negotiation skills.
• Interpersonal skills and ability to work with minimal supervision
• Proven skills in report writing
• Advanced computer skills; Word, Excel, Power point,
• Knowledge of English and knowledge of Somali is an asset
- College / University, Bachelor’s degree
• Handling insecure environment
• Planning and delivering results
• Empowering and building trust
• Communicating with impact and respect
Duty station: Dadaab
Contract period is up to December 2019 with possibility of extension.
Salary/benefits: According to NRC’s general directions, The candidate will observe NRC’s code of conduct and working hours for the NRC Office in Dadaab.