Norwegian Refugee Council (NRC) Job Vacancy : Project Officer
Welcome to JobwebKenya.com. This website helps you to achieve your career dream by linking you to vacancies from Top Companies in Kenya. Job Seekers are also exposed to best articles for career growth and development. Click Here to Subscribe for Job Alerts We strongly advise graduates not to pay money before getting a Job. Report fraudulent jobs to [email protected]
- Company: Norwegian Refugee Council (NRC)
- Location: Kenya
- State: Nairobi
- Job type: Full-Time
- Job category: Administrative/Secretarial Jobs in Kenya
The Norwegian Refugee Council (NRC) is a non-governmental, humanitarian organization with 60 years of experience in helping to create a safer and more dignified life for refugees and internally displaced people. NRC advocates for the rights of displaced populations and offers assistance within the shelter, education, emergency food security, legal assistance, and water,sanitation and hygiene sectors.
The Norwegian Refugee Council has approximately 5000 committed and competent employees involved in projects across four continents. In addition, NRC runs one of the world’s largest standby rosters -NORCAP, with 650 professionals, ready to be deployed on 72 hours notice when a crisis occurs
The NRC East Africa & Yemen mission is an expanding programme. NRC started its operations in Kenya in the refugee camps in Dadaab in February 2007. NRC has WASH, Shelter, Education, Food Security and Livelihood and Information Counselling and Legal Assistant programmes implemented in the refugee camps in Dadaab and Kakuma.
The purpose of the Project Officer position is to support the day-to-day implementation of Information, Counselling and Legal Assistance (ICLA) projects in Dadaab camps. The Project Officer is responsible for supporting the implementation of information, legal counselling and legal assistance services in Dadaab camps and surrounding host communities and supporting programme development through assessments, stakeholder engagement and coordination. This includes the development of information dissemination and outreach strategies within relevant ICLA thematic areas of legal identity, housing, land and property rights and livelihoods and self-reliance opportunities. The Project Officer is also responsible for supporting the provision of counselling and legal assistance in line with NRCs procedures that ensure quality delivery of programmes. The Project Officer with support from the ICLA Project Coordinator will identify and carry out relevant capacity building and training opportunities both within NRC and with partners and other stakeholders. The Officer will also undertake legal analysis of the situation of refugees and host community located in the Dadaab camp complex and identify gaps for NRC intervention and programming within the ICLA thematic areas. The Officer will work within the integrated programming approach to ensure that ICLA activities are mainstreamed within all other NRC projects in Dadaab.
- Ensure compliance with NRC policies, guidelines and standards
- Ensure compliance with ICLA CC strategy, tools, handbooks, guidelines and standards
- Responsible for implementation of relevant technical activities in the ICLA project in Dadaab
- Responsible for tracking of financial expenditures of the project
- Provide technical support and capacity building towards project staff
- Ensure relevant data collection and produce reports and analysis as required
- Assess, promote and document ideas for technical improvement and further program development options
- Represent NRC in relevant coordination forums and build relationships with key stakeholders
- Management and oversight of ICLA services for beneficiaries.
- Ensure proper budget monitoring and efficient utilization of funds.
- Support ICLA project assistants carrying out counselling services and build their capacity to undertake quality counselling. Ensure cases are processed in a timely manner according to case management and client handling procedures. Ensure case management and monitoring tools are maintained.
- Support and manage the referrals process for beneficiaries in need of legal services to legal aid partners/consultants and to Somalia ICLA teams for cases that require legal assistance on return.
- Oversee the quality of legal services being provided in Dadaab.
- Conduct awareness training and training activities for communities, government officials and NGOs on ICLA thematic areas, support coordination with all relevant stakeholders in Dadaab and partner organisations through developing working relationships and attending coordination opportunities.
- Plan, organize and conduct activities within the ICLA thematic areas using ICLA guidelines
- Prepare quality activity and donor reports within NRC standards and donors’ reporting requirements
- Conduct legal research as required. Regularly collate information on government and NGO policies pertaining to refugees and monitor the general context through regular field access to identify issues affecting refugees which relate to ICLA themes.
- Assist in strategic review; monitoring and evaluation activities and identification of other relevant ICLA activities.
- Contribute to development of donor proposals for funding
- Contribute to the development of NRC’s Country strategy, action plan and activities plan and priorities in the ICLA sector.
- Perform any other relevant tasks as assigned by the supervisor.
- University degree in law, political science, social science or other relevant discipline.
- Minimum 5 years humanitarian experience with refugees/internally displaced persons (IDPs) at field level with an NGO or other international organization.
- Good understanding of the refugee context in Kenya
- Knowledge of international refugee law and national law applicable to refugees
- Knowledge of SPHERE standards and durable solutions
- Knowledge of community outreach, counselling and legal aid service provision
- Experience in PCM, M&E reporting
- Technical experience in delivery of training, client management including information, counselling and legal assistance and case management
- Experience from working as a Project Officer in a humanitarian/recovery context
- Good understanding of protection mainstreaming
- Demonstrated experience on advocacy work for refugee issues in Kenya
- Previous experience from working in complex and volatile contexts
- Documented results related to the position’s responsibilities
- Knowledge of English (Written & Spoken). Knowledge of Somali an asset
- Excellent report writing skills
- College / University, Bachelor’s degree
- Planning and delivering results
- Empowering and building trust
- Communicating with impact and respect
- Handling insecure environment
Duty station: Dadaab
Contract period is up to December 2019 with possibility of extension.
Salary/benefits: According to NRC’s general directions, The candidate will observe NRC’s code of conduct and working hours for the NRC Office in Dadaab.