Personal Assistant to Defence Advisor at Foreign and Commonwealth Office
Welcome to JobwebKenya.com. This website helps you to achieve your career dream by linking you to vacancies from Top Companies in Kenya. Job Seekers are also exposed to best articles for career growth and development. Click Here to Subscribe for Job Alerts We strongly advise graduates not to pay money before getting a Job. Report fraudulent jobs to [email protected]
DO NOT PAY MONEY BEFORE GETTING A JOB!!. JOBWEB KENYA DOES NOT RECRUIT!! BE WARNED!!
- Company: Foreign and Commonwealth Office
- Location: Kenya
- State: Nairobi
- Job type: Full-Time
- Job category: Administrative/Secretarial Jobs in Kenya
Main purpose of job:
To provide Administrative support to the Defence Adviser and the wider Defence Section. The job combines standard secretarial support and diary management as well as general budget management. Facilitating travel in the region, basic IT support as well as organising events on behalf of the Defence Section.
Roles and responsibilities
- Provide support to the Defence Adviser (Brigadier) and Military Adviser (Lieutenant Colonel);
- Monitoring incoming emails and despatch as required, assisting the Staff Assistant with incoming and outgoing mail;
- Booking appointments on behalf of the Defence Adviser and running his diary, coordinating with the High Commissioner’s office and other PAs to ensure accuracy;
- Arranging all travel and meeting requirements for the DA/MA and incoming visitors to countries for which they have responsibilities;
- Providing social secretarial duties, writing invitation cards, place cards, menus and compiling guest lists, maintaining contact lists, arranging caterers etc;
- Carrying out office filing and maintenance of the filing system and the ordering and managing of stationery and other office supplies as directed by the Staff Assistant;
- Liaison with Kenyan Ministry of Defence (KMOD), Ministry of Foreign Affairs and other ministries as required;
- Obtaining Diplomatic Flight Clearances for all RAF flights and Royal Naval Ships entering countries for which the Defence Adviser has responsibilities in the absence of the Staff Assistant;
- Assistance with UK visas for Senior Military Personnel from countries for which the Defence Adviser has responsibilities;
- Facilitating attendance on UK courses for military personnel from countries for which the Defence Adviser has responsibilities;
- Provide assistance for UK VIP’s visiting Kenya including visit programs;
- Support to BHC social events including production of invites and menus etc;
- Assistance in the management of the Defence Adviser’s residence, specifically act as the point of contact between the residence and the BHC management section and other agencies involved in its upkeep;
- Liaison with Kenyan, Tanzania and Seychellois Armed Forces including production and tracking of Notes Verbales and following up on responses;
- Ensuring Defence Section driver is fully briefed on schedules;
- Managing the office refreshment fund and producing refreshments for principals and visitors, keeping refreshment area, crockery and equipment clean and tidy;
- Providing cover for the Staff Assistant during absences;
- Providing cover for the Personal Assistant to the High Commissioner during absences;
- Undertaking other duties detailed by the Defence Adviser or Staff Assistant.
- Extensive experience of developing good working relationships with key stakeholders at all levels;
- Excellent IT skills (a working knowledge of Microsoft Excel and Word is essential);
- Good oral and written communication skills, attention to detail and initiative;
- The ability to respond flexibly to competing demands.
Members of staff are entitled to paid annual leave, which is earned, from the day they commence employment. Entitlements are as follows:
Grades B3 (L) 30 days
In addition to annual leave, the BHC normally observes no fewer than 9 and no more than 14 Kenyan and British public and religious holidays in a year. These vary from year to year and are at the discretion of the High Commissioner. A list of holidays is published each year.
Monday to Thursday: 0700 – 1530 Friday: 0700 – 1300
Occasional out of ours working may be required, which would be eligible for TOIL