Population Council Job Vacancy : Program Officer NGO
Welcome to JobwebKenya.com. This website helps you to achieve your career dream by linking you to vacancies from Top Companies in Kenya. Job Seekers are also exposed to best articles for career growth and development. Click Here to Subscribe for Job Alerts We strongly advise graduates not to pay money before getting a Job. Report fraudulent jobs to [email protected]
- Company: Population Council
- Location: Nairobi, Nairobi County, Kenya
- State: Nairobi
- Job type: Full-Time
- Job category: Administrative/Secretarial Jobs in Kenya
Population Council seeks an experienced professional to serve as a Program Officer I – Data Manager who will be responsible for all aspects of data management in the Council’s office in Kenya.
The job holder’s key responsibilities include coordinating the processing of collected data; supporting project staff with data collection activities; overseeing proper management of data including secure back-up and archiving; supporting project staff with basic data analysis and reporting; representing the Council in technical working group meetings involving data management, processing and utilization; and providing data management support to other Council offices in sub-Saharan Africa if needed.
This position is a local hire position.
Candidates must be Kenyan nationals.
Key Responsibilities for the Program Officer Job
- Coordinate all aspects of data management for ongoing and new research projects, including designing data entry screens; recruiting, training and supervising data entry personnel and activities; and overseeing data cleaning processes;
- Assist project staff with the design and implementation of research studies by reviewing study tools; programming the tools on mobile handheld devices such as tablets in android platforms; and training research assistants on utilization of new data collection and entry technologies;
- Work with project and field staff to ensure successful implementation of program monitoring and evaluation strategies and frameworks by conducting data validation and verification checks;
- Work with the Network Coordinator to develop, implement and support data archiving and protection mechanisms including secure data back-up and web-based data management system;
- Support project staff with basic data analysis and reporting including generating summary results of research data, transcribing open-ended data, and preparing summary reports of research activities;
- Work with the Network Coordinator to provide technical assistance to staff for basic information, communication and technology (ICT) support, software management and maintenance;
- Represent the Council in project dissemination meetings, training workshops, and technical working group meetings organized by national and international organizations including government and donor agencies;
- Provide data management support to other Council offices in sub-Saharan Africa region if needed including programming study tools on mobile hand held devices, training research assistants on the new technologies, and preparing the data for analysis.
Program Officer Job Qualifications
- Bachelor’s degree in statistics, information technology, computer science, management information systems (MIS) or MIS-related field with at least 2 years of relevant experience; or a satisfactory combination of education and relevant experience;
- Demonstrated knowledge of and experience with managing large datasets and relational databases such as Access and SQL, and programming using JAVA, Python, XML or SQL on Android or Windows platforms;
- Demonstrated knowledge of and experience with basic data analysis using statistical software such as Excel, Stata or SPSS.
- GIS skills are an added advantage ;
- Strong oral and written communication skills including the ability to translate technical programming and data management information for non-technical audience;
- Strong organizational and interpersonal skills including demonstrated ability to work independently with minimal supervision and as part of a team in a multi-cultural environment;
- Strong supervision skills demonstrated by prior experience of successfully supervising a small group of data personnel;
- Readiness to travel within Kenya and internationally.
How to Apply
Interested candidates should send their resume and cover letter to: jobs-[email protected]
Applications must be received by May 18, 2018.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Population Council is an equal opportunity employer.