Programme Officer at International Institute for Legislative Affairs
Welcome to JobwebKenya.com. This website helps you to achieve your career dream by linking you to vacancies from Top Companies in Kenya. Job Seekers are also exposed to best articles for career growth and development. Click Here to Subscribe for Job Alerts We strongly advise graduates not to pay money before getting a Job. Report fraudulent jobs to [email protected]
DO NOT PAY MONEY BEFORE GETTING A JOB!!. JOBWEB KENYA DOES NOT RECRUIT!! BE WARNED!!
- Company: International Institute for Legislative Affairs
- Location: Kenya
- State: Nairobi
- Job type: Full-Time
- Job category: NGO Jobs in Kenya
The International Institute for Legislative Affairs (IILA) is a not- for- profit organization that works closely with Policy making institutions, Government Departments, Members of Parliament and other stakeholders in the legislative process to draft and advocate for pro- people policies and legislation.
This is a great opportunity for the interested candidates to play a role in the development of quality and responsive ‘pro- people’ policies and legislation in line with our vision of “A Just Society Governed by Fair and Righteous Laws” and our mission of enhancing the legislative process in Kenya by providing technical support to law making institutions and other stakeholders.
This position heads the Policy Development programme and leads the programme functions of policy and legislative research and analysis, review of existing policies, Bills and other legislative documents, drafting legislation and engaging relevant institutions to advocate on IILA’s areas of interest. The position reports to the Chief Executive Officer (CEO).
FUNCTIONS OF THE POLICY DEVELOPMENT PROGRAMME
▪ Organizational lead for parliamentary (National Assembly, the Senate and the county assemblies) engagement
▪ Conduct legislative research and analysis to document evidence for IILA’s legislative advocacy work
▪ Draft and review Bills, policies and other legislative documents in areas of IILA interest
▪ Identify areas for IILA’s engagement within the legislative process
▪ Collaborate with IILA’s Capacity Building Programme on policy and legislative capacity development of different stakeholders in the policy and legislative process
▪ Strengthen institutional networks and partnerships with other organizations in the legislative space
▪ Lead resource mobilization for legislative engagement components of IILA work
ROLES AND RESPONSIBILITIES OF THE POSITION
The Programme officer – Policy and Legislative Development will be responsible for designing, implementation and overall management of the Programme’s activities in consultation with Chief Executive Officer, in collaboration with other IILA Programmes and in line with IILA’s objectives.
The position will work directly with IILA’s policy and legislative partners, including policy and legislative making institutions, specific government ministries and agencies, members of National and County Assemblies, and other relevant actors in the policy and legislative process. Specific responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Providing technical, strategic guidance and leadership to the programme
- Leading the design, execution and monitoring of programme plans and activities to ensure effective delivery in line with organizational objectives;
- Expanding the current projects under the programme and conceptualize new ones iv. Prioritizing areas of research and analysis to address identified policy and legislative gaps and opportunities for IILA intervention;
- Co-ordinating the review of relevant existing policies, Bills and other legislative documents and drafting of new legislative proposals; when needed
- Initiating resourcing strategies that respond to programme goals and targets and supporting organizational fundraising efforts
- Coordinating administrative and logistical aspects of the programme
- Leading the preparation of programme implementation reports and schedules in line with IILA internal policies and in compliance with contractual agreements with IILA funders
- Coordinating external relationships through networking and partnership opportunities with individuals and institutions relevant to the programme goals
- Undertake any other duties as assigned by the immediate supervisor and/ or the Chief Executive Officer
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE REQUIRED
✓ Minimum Bachelor’s Degree in Law
✓ Knowledge and understanding of policy and legislative issues and processes in Kenya
✓ At least 3 years’ experience in the NGO sector in the advertised or similar capacity
- Familiarity with concepts and processes of policy formulation and development, social and economic rights, national (including sub- National) and global policy making
- Solid understanding of the environment in which IILA operates as well as commitment to and understanding of IILA’s vision, mission and values
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Strong networking and inter- personal skills
- Proven skills in legislative drafting will be an added advantage