Project Gender Officer at Ministry of Environment and Forestry
- Company: Ministry of Environment and Forestry
- Location: Kenya
- State: Nairobi
- Job type: Full-Time
- Job category: Administrative/Secretarial Jobs in Kenya
The Ministry of Environment and Forestry was created vide Executive Order No. 1 of 2018 on the organization of government of Kenya. It is mandated to undertake National Environment Policy and Management, Forestry development policy and management, Development of re-afforestation and agro-forestry, Restoration of strategic water towers, Protection and conservation of Natural environment, Pollution control, Lake Victoria management programme, Restoration of Lake Naivasha basin, Kenya Meteorological department, Kenya meteorological training, Conservation and protection of wetlands and Climate change affairs.
ADVERTISEMENT OF POSITIONS IN THE GLOBAL OPPORTUNITY FOR LONG TERM DEVELOPMENT (GOLD) IN THE ARTISANAL SMALL
SCALE GOLD MINING (ASGM) PROJECT
Under the overall supervision and guidance of the Project Manager, the Gender Consultant will have the responsibility for the implementation of the Gender Action plan. The Project Gender Consultant will work closely with the Project Manager (PM) on related aspects of project implementation, reporting, monitoring, evaluation and communication.
Term of Engagement: The position shall be on an initial twelve (12) months contract with possibility for extension.
Duties and Responsibilities:
Specific responsibilities will include:
- Monitor progress in implementation of the Project Gender Action plan ensuring that targets are fully met and the reporting requirements are fulfilled.
- Oversee/ develop / coordinate implementation of all gender –related work.
- Review the Gender Action plan annually, and update and revise corresponding management plans as necessary.
- Work with the Project Manager (PM) to ensure reporting, monitoring and evaluation and fully address the gender issues of the project.
- Ensure that gender sensitization modules are included in all training activities supported by the project, and support the development of these modules.
- Verify that project training materials and activities are aligned with local family realities, promote positive actions towards the role and involvement of women in family income generating activities and family finances , respect communities’ ethnicity , miners/ women’s time availability , cultural practices, etc.
- Support the gender review of existing ASGM policy and regulatory frameworks ; Ensure that guidelines, standards and incentives revised and/or developed by the project include gender dimensions.
- Ensure that women participate in all projects related activities.
- Support the collection of sex disaggregated and gender specific data and conducts a characterization of the impacted (work) population. Measure the participation, empowerment and improvement of work /living conditions for men / women , as part of the in-depth mercury related baseline inventories that will be conducted in each of the 6 priority project sites.
- Support the finance expert in the assessment of the existing financial products of project partners in terms of accessibility and suitability for women mining groups.
- Ensure that the project also supports women groups interested in mining in the establishment of ASGM associations / cooperatives.
- Support the leadership training expert in providing leadership training to women mining groups and women miners
- Conduct a Gender Assessment of project impact as part of the Mid-Term Review. Based on the results of the Gender Assessment and other recommendations coming out of the MTR , make recommendation on how the project can further improve its gender related interventions.
Required skills and expertise
Applicants must possess the following, in order to be considered for appointment to the position:
- Bachelor degree in gender studies, gender and development, environment, sustainable development or closely related area.
- Master’s degree in gender studies, gender and development, environment, sustainable development or closely related area (will be added advantage).
- Demonstrated understanding of issues related to gender and sustainable development ; at least 5 years of practical working experience in gender mainstreaming , women’s empowerment and sustainable development in Kenya , ASGM and/ or environmental management.
- Proven experience in gender issues in Kenya, ASGM and / or environmental management.
- Previous experience with UN projects will be a definite asset.
- Demonstrated understanding of the links between sustainable development, social and gender issues.
- Experience in gender responsive capacity building.
- Experience with project development and results- based management methodologies is highly desired / required.
- Excellent analytical, writing, advocacy, presentation, and communication skills.
- Excellent language skills in English (writing, speaking and reading) and in local languages.
Method of ApplicationDownload the specific job requirements for the positions from the Ministry of Environment and Forestry Website page www.environmment.go.ke, read this carefully as it lists the skills, knowledge and qualifications required.Fill in each section of the Bio - Data Form clearly in typed, block letters.
- The Bio-Data Form must be accompanied with an Application Letter, detailed Curriculum Vitae, Certified Copies of Academic Certificates, National Identify Card, and Testimonials.
- All applications should be addressed to,
The Cabinet Secretary,
Ministry of Environment and Forestry,
P.O. Box 30126,
- In Submitting the applications, Applicants can;
- Email their applications, in Ms Word or PDF; to
with the position Title as the subject; or
- Drop a hard copy; in sealed envelope at the
Ministry’s (Main) Registry
on 13th Floor,
- Post a hard copy;
- With the position title clearly indicated at the left hand corner of the envelope.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Any form of canvassing will lead to Automatic Disqualification.
Closing Date : 8th June, 2021