Risk and Compliance Officer at Bidhaa Sasa
- Company: Bidhaa Sasa
- Location: Kenya
- State: Nairobi
- Job type: Full-Time
- Job category: Administrative/Secretarial Jobs in Kenya
Bidhaa Sasa (“Products Now” in Swahili) is a lean start-up based in Bungoma County in Kenya. It distributes and finances goods to rural households providing services to otherwise under-served communities. Bidhaa Sasa focuses on goods and services that improve the quality of life for rural families. Goods include solar lamps, solar home systems, small appliances, efficient cook stoves and LPG. All products can be bought with payment plans and are delivered and installed at our clients homes. We also cover after-sale services like maintenance and management of the goods’ warranties. Bidhaa Sasa launched its commercial operations in May 2015 from Webuye, Western Kenya.
We are looking for a female candidate with a highly analytical mindset and excellent interpersonal skills to fill the position of Risk and Compliance Officer.
She will have the primary responsibility of challenging all business processes and controls to ensure that internal guidelines, ethical practices and legal requirements are adhered to while continuously suggesting improvements. Additionally, she will ensure that our 80+ staff comply with those policies, processes and guidelines.
About the job
Your duties will include, quality control of processes, procedures and controls while working on developing solutions with the person building the processes. Additionally, you should be good in detecting gaps in the way things are done, measure to what extent these gaps affect business operations negatively, report and advise on the corrective measures to be taken. This includes advising the business on policies and best practices as well as standardization of processes to ensure mitigation of risks, efficiency and effectiveness.
This is a mid-level role where the successful hire will report directly to the founders of Bidhaa Sasa and be based in the Nairobi office though with regular travel across our branches. Expect to be in the field, where the action is, around 50% of your time.
This is an opportunity to be part of a growing start-up with big ambitions and a dedicated team but it also means that it’s a rapidly changing environment, requiring you to be responsive and adaptable.
Key requirements and deliverables of the role
Assist in the development and implementation of a risk management and control strategy, challenging processes and controls, set and monitor performance metrics for compliance standards. The role will focus on the following internal business risks:
- Collaborate with the Business Process Manager to review and suggest improvement of operational policies, procedures and controls
- Review of sales and other processes checking for any gaps that may result in losses for business
- – Conduct quality checks to ensure that field staff adhere to business processes
- Identify and measure potential risks to the business and advise relevant line managers on the appropriate steps to take
- Identify and measure potential risks to the business and advise relevant line managers on the appropriate steps to take.
- Lead incident investigations by conducting a root cause analysis and to ensure necessary corrective actions are implemented to prevent future cases
- Conduct mystery shopper exercises regularly
- Develop an internal policy relating to fraud prevention and implementation of the same
- Review and interrogate the expenditure of every staff and identifying patterns and trends across different branches
- Check for compliance in cost of operation per region
- Consistently provide guidance on ways to reduce operational costs
- Collaborate with the Business Processes Manager and HR team to educate and train employees on internal policies aimed at mitigating risk
- Conduct regular audits of the company procedures and practices to identify possible weaknesses or risks
- Conduct periodic review of the business compliance with regulatory requirements, including health and safety requirements
- Together with the management team review and improve current policies relating to clients loans, repayment behavior delinquency and right offs
- Conduct quality checks on the strengths and weaknesses of the group liability concept
Our culture – We are the right organization for you if:
- You believe in the potential of rural communities to improve their family’s lives and are eager to ensure everyone has an equal part in Kenya’s development. We put the client at the centre of all our decisions and actions.
- You enjoy the thrill of start-up life, where we fail and learn from it, where things change fast, and every day brings new challenges. We are a close-knit team working tirelessly to achieve something that has not been done before!
- You are excited about working in a multicultural environment, where we have open communication channels, are transparent about challenges and mistakes, learn from each other and respect and leverage our diversity to make the business work.
- You want your ideas to be heard and participate in business strategy: Our team is collaborative and supportive. We listen to insights from our staff and clients because we know that otherwise, we can’t succeed.
Who we are looking for:
- You are passionate about rural development and making a difference for the less well-off
- You are analytical, detail-oriented and enjoy identifying patterns and trends to reveal actionable insights
- You are a team player and excellent at building long-term relationships internally (with colleagues) and externally (e.g. with clients)
- You are willing to travel across the branches to get first-hand insights into the different processes by engaging with staff, clients and any other relevant parties
- You possess high levels of integrity and professional ethics
- You have at least 5 years demonstrable experience in a similar role specifically auditing and improving processes. Candidates with previous experience in the following fields are preferred: Manufacturing, Logistics, FMCG or MFI/SACCO
- Bachelor’s Degree in Engineering, Commerce, Business Management, or any other relevant field
- You have a good working knowledge of business legal requirements and procedures including risk management strategies
- Professional training in quality management systems and/or audit requirements will be an added advantage
This position is open to female candidates only
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis until the position is filled
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted
Bidhaa Sasa does not charge any fees for recruitment
Method of ApplicationSubmit your CV and Application on Company Website : Click Here
Closing Date : 17th November, 2020