Thematic Coordinator Relations with Armed Actors at Save the Children
- Company: Save the Children
- Location: Kenya
- State: Nairobi
- Job type: Full-Time
- Job category: NGO Jobs in Kenya
The Save the Children Fund, commonly known as Save the Children, is an international non-governmental organization that promotes children’s rights, provides relief and helps support children in developing countries
The Thematic Coordinator on Relations with Armed Actors will provide operational and technical guidance and implementation on SCI’s Children Affected by Armed Conflict (CAAC) Programme, in collaboration with the SCI Global Civil Military & Armed Non-State Actors (ANSAs) Initiative. The CAAC Programme is a complex cross-regional Programme that enables programming and advocacy initiatives on children affected by armed conflict, with a wide range of actors at strategic policy/decision making and operational level, such as; the African Union, Regional Economic Communities (RECs), Regional Mechanisms (RMs), Treaty Bodies, Bilateral Institutions, Member States, Civil Society Organizations and Armed Actors, both state and non-state. The role will also facilitate cross regional and global coordination and learning through relevant internal and external platforms such as on access, civ-mil relations, safety and security etc.
Within the Programme, the Thematic Coordinator will support a Thematic Specialist (line-manager) with targeted and high-quality guidance, support and capacity strengthening to SCI Country Office’s to enable planning and operationalization of different engagement and negotiations modalities towards armed actors in various contexts. This role will lead on providing support to country teams to operationalize tools to assess risks and opportunities to advance children’s rights and humanitarian space, through engagement with armed actors. He/she will advise on programming, monitoring and operational footprints to be adaptive, conflict sensitive and contextually-driven.
The Thematic Coordinator will work with the Thematic Specialist, PMs, Thematic Coordinators, Advocacy Coordinators, and a MEAL specialist as needed to ensure all relevant CAAC Programme activities are implements, and that there are clear quality standards maintained for each area of work. Decision-making will require independent judgement within the roles technical scope as guided by existing global guidelines, standards and policies.
Experience and Qualifications
- Undergraduate degree in Social Sciences and extensive thorough working knowledge in Child Protection in Armed Conflict and Emergencies.
- Minimum 4 years international humanitarian field experience, including in conflict and restricted access environments.
- Minimum 2 years of Protection/Humanitarian programming, including demonstrated working knowledge and experience on CAAC and Peace and Security Programming/ANSA/Civil-Mil relations
- Solid experience of engagement and relations with Armed Actors, including Armed Non-State Actors, in the field.
- Solid understanding of humanitarian negotiations, gender-peace and security, conflict sensitivity
- Demonstrated experience of capacity building of armed actors and humanitarian frontline negotiations.
- Basic understanding of the African Union Peace and Security Architecture, and Peace Support Operations in general.
- Demonstrated capability to make decisions with creativity and independent judgment
- Demonstrated experience in influencing to obtain the cooperation of others.
- Proven excellence in working in a team, being a team player, and significant experience working in an international organisation.
- An appreciation and understanding of how to manoeuvre in a context of shrinking space for civil society, ensuring Save the Children’s integrity and child rights are not compromised
- Demonstrated knowledge of children’s issues, rights-based program approaches, and child safeguarding principles.
- Strong skills and proven experience in program management processes; also from the knowledge and learning perspective.
- Able to work well under pressure and deadlines
- Excellent listening, inter-personal, communication and networking skills; proven experience and effectiveness working across functional teams and in a matrixed structure; and an ability to work with diverse populations.
- High level of self-awareness and willingness to take feedback for growth and self-development.
- Excellent analytical skills.
- Effective negotiator, with the ability to positively influence cross departmental and cross sector work
- Proven experience in designing Terms of Reference and ability to design and review evaluation tools and approaches.
- Highly developed interpersonal and communication skills including influencing, negotiation and coaching.
- Highly developed cultural awareness and ability to work well in an international environment with people from diverse backgrounds and cultures.
- Strong results orientation, with the ability to challenge existing mind-sets.
- Experience of solving complex issues through analysis, definition of a clear way forward and ensuring buy in
- Ability to present complex information in a succinct and compelling manner
- Exemplary level of spoken and written English.
- Fluency in French, both verbal and written, desirable
Method of Application
Closing Date : 5th September, 2020
Popular Jobs this WeekKenya Engineering Graduates Recruitment at Ericsson
Submit CVs – New Recruitment at Kwale County Government
Submit CVs – New Recruitment at Zomato Groceries
Submit CVs – New Recruitment at Molars Dental Clinic
Submit CVs – New Recruitment at Siginon Group
Submit CVs – New Recruitment at Oloolaiser Water Company
Submit CVs – New Recruitment at Media Council of Kenya
Submit CVs – New Recruitment at World Vision Kenya
Submits CVs – Graduates Trainees at British American Tobacco
Submit CVs – New Recruitment at Aga Khan Hospital, Mombasa