Computer Systems Assistant Job at UNDP, Kenya
Job ID: 4106
The situation in Somalia remains fragile with continued political instability, climatic variability, and lack of basic social services. OCHA’s role is to coordinate effective and principled inter-agency humanitarian response and ensure that relief assistance reaches the people who need it in a timely manner.
Under the overall supervision of Head of Communications Unit, the Graphics Designer will take the lead on visuals and graphics for OCHA Somalia information products, reports, multimedia and publications.
Systems Assistant Job Duties and Responsibilities
Summary of key functions:
- Design and lay- out of reports and other products
- Development of presentations, web interface and interactive products
- Design key products for humanitarian action
- Design key products for the HRP Mid-Year Review
- Capacity Building
Design and lay-out of reports and other products:
- Support and lead the design process of reports and presentations for printing, electronic distribution and live delivery;
- Prepare lay-out weekly, monthly and other recurring reports in close collaboration with IMU and Communications Unit;
- Design templates for new publications and products in line with OCHA graphic guidelines;
- Maintain infographics templates (in adobe and other graphical software);
- Create, improve on and edit art works, photos, charts and other graphic elements;
- Assist in establishing and maintaining photo archives, streamlining the use and availability of photos.
Development of presentations, web interface and interactive products:
- Lay-out and design presentations;
- Deliver creative graphic and technical solutions for use of new media;
- Maintain a client-oriented approach that ensures IMU and communications unit provide high quality information products and services;
- Edit photographic and video material into usable clips;
- Contribute to developing multimedia products for web and social networking platforms including video and photos projects illustrating OCHA Somalia initiatives.
Design key products for Humanitarian Action:
- The three year humanitarian strategy;
- The Humanitarian Response Plan (HRP);
- The HRP mid-year review;
- The Humanitarian Needs Overview (HNO);
- The Somalia Humanitarian Dashboard;
- Graphics on the OCHA Somalia homepage (design, layout and printing);
- Graphics on the layout of the three year humanitarian strategy for Somalia;
- Other advocacy and promotional materials;
- Ad-hoc emergency/strategic/resource mobilization products e.g ‘Call for Aid’.
Design key products for the HRP Mid-Year Review:
- Update and design templates for various reports and publications;
- Graphic photos for tweets, posters and products;
- Graphics on the OCHA Somalia homepage;
- 2017 Somalia Humanitarian Needs Overview;
- Design/outlay and printing of the SHF interim report and annual report;
- Graphics on the layout of both the SHF interim and annual report.
- Facilitate training of staff on Adobe InDesign, Illustrator and Photoshop;
Facilitate training and assist the communications team in capturing photo and video footage for use in projects, provide technical advice on best practice for best results.
Impact of Results
- The key results have an impact on the overall efficiency of the Unit, enhance quality of both internal and external reports, photos, bulletins and reports.
- It will also support capacity building and ultimately increase productivity of staff.
- Demonstrates integrity by modeling the UN’s values and ethical standards;
- Advocates and promotes the vision, mission, and strategic goals of UN;
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability;
- Treats all people fairly without favoritism.
- Knowledge and Learning Management
- Contributes to UNOCHA Practice Areas and actively works towards continuing personal learning and development;
- Builds knowledge in at least one practice areas, and shares;
- Ability to provide top quality advice services on related issues;
- In-depth practical knowledge of inter-disciplinary development issues.
Management and Leadership
- Builds strong relationships with clients, focuses on impact and result for the client and responds positively to feedback;
- Consistently approaches work with energy and a positive, constructive attitude;
- Demonstrates good oral and written communication skills;
- Demonstrates openness to change and ability to manage complexities;
- Leads teams effectively and shows mentoring as well as conflict resolution skills;
- Remains calm, in control and good humoured even under pressure.
Development and Operational Effectiveness
- Ability to plan, prioritise and deliver tasks on time;
- Ability to participate effectively in a team;
- Ability to manage complex problems proactively and effectively, including responses to field based emergencies;
- In-depth practical knowledge of inter-disciplinary development issues;
- Proven networking, team-building, organizational and communication skills;
- IT competencies in Word, Excel, Power Point and the internet.
Required Skills and Experience for System Assistant Job
- Secondary education with specialized certification in communication, graphic design or adobe certified designer;
- University degree in related field is desirable but is not requirement.
- Minimum 7 years of progressively responsible experience in working with communication media, publications production, including desktop publishing, graphic design and layout, or related area;
- Proven expertise in use of Microsoft Word 2010 for document formatting, Adobe Illustrator, InDesign, or comparable graphic software;
- Knowledge of internal UN printing practices and operations is desirable.
- Fluency in oral and written English is required.