University Counselor Job At USIU In Kenya
University Counselor Job Responsibilities
- Provide individual, couple and family group counseling and psychotherapy to USIU- Africa students to enable them manage challenges and optimally function so that they can meet their Educational and Life goals.
- Diagnose, prepare treatment plans and interventions using a wide range of therapeutic techniques to better address diverse client needs.
- Create awareness and conduct life skills training to empower the USIU-Africa community.
- Promote HIV and AIDs education and HIV testing and counseling services on campus.
- Conduct needs analysis surveys in the university in order to design appropriate counseling/clinical psychological interventions.
- Prepare and keep adequate and professional clinical notes on client progress for ongoing care and reference.
- Maintain a wide range of mental health contacts to facilitate appropriate referrals for clients needing specialized treatment and care.
- Prepare periodic counseling and activities reports for purposes of planning and decision making.
- Attend regular continuing education and supervision with a trained supervisor to ensure professionalism.
- Provide capacity building training, consultation and advocacy for various student groups (clubs, sports teams, student leaders) to empower them towards personal growth.
- Perform any other duties as may be assigned from time to time.
Qualifications For University Counselor Job
- A Master’s degree in Counseling/Clinical Psychology from an accredited university.
Minimum Professional Experience
- Five (5) years of practice as a counselor with at least three (3) years’ experience working with young adults in an educational institution
- Membership of a relevant professional association
- Creative, Critical and Analytical skills (with a focus on innovation)
- Excellent observation, problem solving and decision-making skills
- Excellent oral, written, inter-personal and communication skills.
- Excellent customer service skills
- Excellent facilitation and training skills
- Planning and organization skills
- Must have practical knowledge with relevant psychological tools, protocols and standards such as DSM-V, psychological testing and assessment, and NASCOP VCT certification
- High level of integrity and observation of confidentiality
- Ability to work in a diverse multicultural environment
- Team player